Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Today i am working on finishing this beer before i order the next one.šŸ˜
2020-03-05 14.49.57.jpg

Gunk

Guru
Today i am working on finishing this beer before i order the next one.šŸ˜ View attachment 507150

Thatā€™s my kind of work, Iā€™m going to have a couple tonight, I feel Iā€™ve earned it.

keithmac

Guru
I had a lovely Saturday afternoon, 14mm steel spindle seized solid into a swingarm (how do I get legged into these!). Need it out to replace center spacer (acts as inner face for needle bearings) and bearings which were rotten.

Only option on RHS was to cut it with reciprocating saw, which took ages as it kept blunting the blades..

LHS was a grind and drill job, without damaging the frame. Did the last bit with a die grinder.

Probably took 2 hours total, now the spindle is obsolete so I'll have to spend ages finding a suitable replacement.

2004 bike so really it should of just knocked out!, for the want of some coppa slip at the factory when it was built..

20200307_135323.jpg

20200307_142329.jpg

20200307_145121.jpg

20200307_160003.jpg

20200307_160220.jpg

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
I wanted to get a new kitchen block for prepping food.I had a few offcuts of pine at work so gave a go at making one instead.I didn't have any clamps to hand so had to do with an agricultural wedge on the glueups,this made lining up the second glueup really difficult as everytime you knocked the wedge to squeeze the workpiece,it knocked everything out of line.Also my electric sander appears to have walked off site on its own so I had to sand everything by hand.Not the best results but not bad either considering the lack of proper clamps etc.

Timber ripped to 44 x 44mm and glued,tidied up with a hand planer after glueup

Tiber laid out ready for second glueup,everytime I knocked the wedge,everything went out of line

Router sled to get everything in to one plane/level

Routered the top and bottom of the board

After hours of sanding,I added two slots so the board is easy to lift out of the way,I slighty rounded over the bottom lip to stop the endgrain from splitting away,I also rounded over the top wit a slightly more pronounced curve.

I wet the board to raise the endgrain on the surface both top and bottom and sanded again for approx an hour with 120 grit.

All thats left to do is give it a couple of coats of oil.
Ive got some nice oak at home,I think I'll have another go with that and use clamps as it easier to keep everything where you want it and also,I would think easier to get the pressure where you need it for glue up...happy enough with the first attempt though...

keithmac

Guru
We've worked right through, could do with a week off..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We've worked right through, could do with a week off..

Likewise..
I uncharacteristically (for me and the time of year) sneaked a week off work to go cycling in Cornwall, just before lockdown.

Haven't had two consecutive days off since, been busier than ever really.

Hopefully calming down a bit soon.

Would normally go to Scotland, this weekend coming for ten days walking. Not this year :sad:

Still, work isn't too awful..

Started lifting the first of the tunnel carrots today.. They smell soooo good :okay:

keithmac

Guru
Had a few V-Twins in recently.

Yellow VTR had been stood up for 15 years!, quite a bit of work to get it back up and running but customer was chuffed to bits (owned it since new)

Blue one was very odd, poor runner. Took carbs off etc and checked ignition. Ended up tearing it down to check cam timing and front was over 360 crank degrees out of phase (god knows how it ran). Cams out, timed up and all good.

TL had been sat for 4 years, service/ battery and some fettling and all good. Surprisingly nice to ride!.

Got 2 a Ducati Monster and a Multistrada in next week to keep the run on the twins going!.

20200422_153202.jpg

20200514_114928.jpg

20200514_143920.jpg

keithmac

Guru
The VFR800 snowballed a bit today, rear cylinder head needed re-shimming as well and ended up cutting the exhaust off (for a full stainless replacement).

Customer wants it done right and is prepared to pay so I'm happy to sort it all out for him, nice to get stuck in and sort it all out properly!.

Top Bottom