Show us what you're doing at work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
There's one like a tube of Rolos too.

The idea is that using wooden nails makes the coffin 100% biodegradeable.

keithmac

Guru
Did an engine rebuild on a KTM Duke 125 today, 10,000 miles. (Been waiting a month for bits!).

Really small noise from the engine, I said we can strip it but can't guarantee to find anything.

Even down to just rotating the crank in the cases by hand there was just a miniscule rough spot at TDC, no play in crank at all.

Cannot believe how quiet it was and how there wasn't any more damage, just LHS main bearing cage absolute shot.

Had one in before that sounded worse, told customer we needed to strip engine but he carried on regardless, 30 miles later it was bin fodder.

So seems a common theme on these engines..

20201002_104622.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Did an engine rebuild on a KTM Duke 125 today, 10,000 miles. (Been waiting a month for bits!).

Really small noise from the engine, I said we can strip it but can't guarantee to find anything.

Even down to just rotating the crank in the cases by hand there was just a miniscule rough spot at TDC, no play in crank at all.

Cannot believe how quiet it was and how there wasn't any more damage, just LHS main bearing cage absolute shot.

Had one in before that sounded worse, told customer we needed to strip engine but he carried on regardless, 30 miles later it was bin fodder.

So seems a common theme on these engines..

View attachment 550375
SKF bearings as well , not even as though they have cheap ones in.

keithmac

Guru
SKF bearings as well , not even as though they have cheap ones in.

Yeh we only stock SKF and Koyo as they are top quality bearings, odd how 2 engines have had the same failure.

Rest of the bearings in this engine were still perfect..

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Most of today I doing some routine measurements plus some emailing and a crappy teleconference. I did have a bit of tinkering to do for the first couple of hours though.

Had some X-ray work to do, having a look at some voiding in solder joints. The machine was playing up though, really poor image quality. Had to take it apart to check the filament.

It's not a difficult job- easier than changing the grill element in an domestic oven (I had to do that recently, and I had a YouTube video to help me)

SM88seb.jpg

It's in here, it's an open-tube type instrument so the filament is inside there and there's a high vacuum to protect it. First thing is to turn off the vacuum and allow air into the chamber.

Then the top can be flipped over to reveal the filament holder thingy.

RMVIYhn.jpg

Then the old filament is pulled out and all this stuff cleaned up. I went a bit too hard with the cotton bud.

Psh6Kfr.jpg

New filament just plugs in, easier than a spotlight bulb.

tIZSEQm.jpg

The tricky bit is getting the filament properly aligned in this cone thing, it's got to be just right so the tip is just visible, and dead centre. Was lucky, pretty much in the right place first off (although looking at the photo I wonder if it isn't sticking up a bit too much?)

fNrI0N0.jpg

Then stick it all back together, give the beryllium target a little twist, get the gun evacuated and run some calibrations. Was back in use in a couple of hours.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
IMG_20201208_090158598.jpg

Had to use the Geiger counter yesterday (it was my turn to do the radiological checks on the X-ray machine while someone else stood around and witnessed it and countersigned the documents). It's just like the ones you see in b-movies- it clicks every now and then and- I presume- it would click a lot if you pointed it at a crashed UFO, or an 160kV x-ray machine with compromised shielding.

The rest of the day I was at my desk putting some soldering trial results into Powerpoint (I dislike it but results are almost always shared using Powerpoint even though a regular Word document would be a better format)

Top Bottom