Show us yer BBQ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Needs a clean.

I hate cleaning bbqs. Their should be an app for it.

CB09EBE0-07D6-4981-9970-021BEC66C66A.jpeg

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Confession time: I've never owned a barbecue and I've never been all that impressed with barbecued food. If I really wanted slightly burned sausages I could overcook them in the oven in the kitchen, then take them out into the garden to eat them. The idea of spending a small fortune on a huge gas-powered outside cooker when I've got a perfectly good one indoors seems like the height of pointless poncy consumerism to me, but there you go.
There are flavours produced by barbecues that can’t be created in domestic ovens. If that’s not of interest to you, then fair enough.
Barbeques do not need to be huge or expensive to deliver that extra flavour either. For years I’ve relyed apon a £30 portable charcoal burning unit. Just a little practice is required to produce great tasty food. Sausages are somewhat at the bottom of the barbecue food chain....

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Confession time: I've never owned a barbecue and I've never been all that impressed with barbecued food. If I really wanted slightly burned sausages I could overcook them in the oven in the kitchen, then take them out into the garden to eat them. The idea of spending a small fortune on a huge gas-powered outside cooker when I've got a perfectly good one indoors seems like the height of pointless poncy consumerism to me, but there you go.

I didn’t know what barbecuing was until I read this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBQ-Sauces-Rubs-Marinades-Dummies/dp/0470199148

Being a fairly typical Londoner, BBQs until that point had been an opportunity to dice with burning down a friend’s house, drink stupid amounts of lager, then sit indoors while the fire subsided in the rain and order pizza.

The first time we did a proper recipe from the dummies book, I did the brisket on our modest gas BBQ, Wife did a cheese/potato bake side, and our friends have been hugely complimentary ever since, these past six years or so.

Not so with mere burned sausages and burgers.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I didn’t know what barbecuing was until I read this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBQ-Sauces-Rubs-Marinades-Dummies/dp/0470199148

Being a fairly typical Londoner, BBQs until that point had been an opportunity to dice with burning down a friend’s house, drink stupid amounts of lager, then sit indoors while the fire subsided in the rain and order pizza.

The first time we did a proper recipe from the dummies book, I did the brisket on our modest gas BBQ, Wife did a cheese/potato bake side, and our friends have been hugely complimentary ever since, these past six years or so.

Not so with mere burned sausages and burgers.
I work with a team of professionals developing such things!
But simple marinades and rubs are easy to make and can deliver exceptional flavours. In the OP I simply used Chicken thighs and Pataks Tikka paste, though usually I make my own marinades and glazes. Easy peasy!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Love a proper BBQ... but I feel there's something fundamentally wrong about the gas BBQ. A friend who shall remain nameless does the most mind boggling BBQ cooking I've ever witnessed... light charcoal, wait 'til it's hot, put big frying pan on the grill, pour in oil, add sausages and burgers and fry the feckers!

Kajjal

Guru

The gas powered ones seem to defeat the point but we cook all kinds of meat and fish on the BBQ in the summer which tastes a lot better.

The main thing is I get to have man fire :cheers:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

The gas powered ones seem to defeat the point but we cook all kinds of meat and fish on the BBQ in the summer which tastes a lot better.

The main thing is I get to have man fire :cheers:
Gas fired ones still deliver excellent flavours though but with convenience! Still better than cooking indoors....

keithmac

Guru

You cannot recreate the taste of properly cooked burgers, sausages, steaks etc cooked on a proper charcoal/ lumpwoof bbq.

Takes practice to cook them just right, mine aren't burnt..

Tin Pot

Guru
Charcoal vs Gas is like Singlespeed vs Derailleur...an ultimately pointless argument.

I work with a team of professionals developing such things!
But simple marinades and rubs are easy to make and can deliver exceptional flavours. In the OP I simply used Chicken thighs and Pataks Tikka paste, though usually I make my own marinades and glazes. Easy peasy!

Yeah I hadn’t thought of that.

Given how much Inhad to buy to get a decent price I usually just rub with paprika, black pepper, sea salt, demerara or raw cane sugar. Any rub is like a five times multiplier over no rub, only if I have time do I look into things like onion powder, kosher salt, cumin, etc.

And I’ve had a few disasters on the way. Marinades can be a bit hit an miss; soaking beef in coke or chicken in orange juice seems to be fairly reliable. Wine marinades haven’t really had an impact so far.

Anyway, the truly great thing about bbqing is that you get home, turn on the gas, throw on a steak, a cob of corn open a beer and you’re done. Fresh, healthy food.

Top Bottom