Show us yer...Dhal!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
OOOOOH you buggers. I love a nice dahl, trouble is I've never managed to cook one up myself that wan't foul.
Anyone got any fool proof recipe's?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I do hope they all taste better than they look.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
OOOOOH you buggers. I love a nice dahl, trouble is I've never managed to cook one up myself that wan't foul.

Get these, easy peasy recipe on the back of the packet. Yumtus.

vu8a5e6e.jpg

A full packet though, not an empty one.

longers

Legendary Member

This does the trick for us. (and is probably the same as the one from the side of 3BMs packet - with added ginger).

Sindh Mung Dal

250g yellow mung dal,
two chopped tomatoes,
2 chopped green chillies,
12 curry leaves (use more if using dried not fresh),
1/4 tsp turmeric,
3/4 tsp salt,
Fresh ginger - chopped
1 tbsp ground coriander,
1 tbsp lemon juice,
pinch of Asafoetida,
2 tbsp butter/ghee,
1 tsp cumin seed,
3 garlic cloves chopped.

Rinse and drain the mung dal and boil rapidly in 700ml of water. Remove the "froth" and discard. The recipe says it takes 15 minutes to get soft but in practice it seems longer and it seems to need more water adding later on.

When nearly done chuck everything in except the garlic, butter/ghee, cumin and stir a few times.

Heat the butter/ghee in a seperate pan and toast the cumin and garlic until the garlic is lightly browned. Add this to your pan and stir again.

Perfect for the freezer so it tends to get made in industrial quantities here.
Serve with whatever you like - it's definitely going into a loaf next time we defrost some.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
i had dahl and chapati for breakfast today, solely because of this thread. I am in the middle east for a couple of weeks and they have some weird stuff for breakfast. It was ok, not sure it will replace cereal any time soon in the UK. I will upload a picture tomorrow.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
i had dahl and chapati for breakfast today, solely because of this thread. I am in the middle east for a couple of weeks and they have some weird stuff for breakfast. It was ok, not sure it will replace cereal any time soon in the UK. I will upload a picture tomorrow.

Tomorrow! It will be one from before it goes in won't it?

longers

Legendary Member
The lumpy bits are chopped up hotdogs.

e8qww9.jpg

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Then start the abuse.

Top Bottom