Show us your 29ers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
My 2014 Rockhopper Comp
PA200256_zps06ed2e35.jpg

Archeress

Veteran
My 2013 GT Timberline 1.0

20151123_141531.jpg

Hugs
Archeress x

WP_20160504_19_31_04_Pro.jpg

My new today, XC race weapon. Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon world Cup.
I have already spun it around Hadleigh MTB centre and crashed it 3 times. Gets a proper try out on sunday in its first race. First upgrade will be tubeless!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
View attachment 127186

My new today, XC race weapon. Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon world Cup.
I have already spun it around Hadleigh MTB centre and crashed it 3 times. Gets a proper try out on sunday in its first race. First upgrade will be tubeless!

How do you find the 1x set up for XC. I'm planning a new MTB, but most are coming with 1x. I'll be riding in the Peaks around Mellor, and occasional visits to Llandegla etc. I'll be getting to Mellor on the canal, so don't want to be spinning out. I'm used to old skool 3x

@fossyant , too early for me to tell how the 1x setup will be. I test rode the 29er against a 650b cannondale with 2 x 11 .( my old bike was a 26 inch with 3 x9 ) I worked out the gear inches and the 2 x11 would have given me a better range both upper and lower but I managed to get up all the obstacles on the 1 x 11 and saw no significant benefit from the 2 x 11 . Most of the racers I know tell me its enough for xc racing maybe too low a gearing for a long flatish off road sportive or keeping up with your mates on road bikes on tarmac, today my club mates were telling me I want to upgrade the 30T chainring to a 32T but I will see how it goes. It was the simplicity that apealed to me and was suprised I coped with both the lack of gear range and huge wheels. ( note it runs a 10-42 cassette)
As to zooming along a flat canal path I would suspect yes you could start spinning out.

fossyant

PS want something for adventure cross. The sad fact is, I'm "off" road riding with cars other than at silly o'clock at weekends (broken spine). I have to wait, but I've seen massive bargains on old stock MTB's, so I will wait. It needs to be do-it-all tough.

fossyant

It's all gone mad with 3 wheel sizes though ?

Not too sure whether its mad or not, 26 inch is definetely redundant in xc terms, and any sort of mileage based events ie enduro. I have virtually no exerience of 650B or 29er but found the 29er just rolled over rocks and small obstacles today without having to think about them. Some people I know prefer the 650B to the other 2. Also I can see the 1x12 is going to probably take over on the xc scene, shame the cassettes will cost a small fortune, you could buy a bike for the same money. I couldn't wait till next year or I would have probably gone down that route.

Top Bottom