Show us your Bitsa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Exlaser2

Veteran
Cheers Dave r , it’s another bit on Coventry history I had no idea about . The trouble is I am a new boy to the city , I’ve only been here since 1988 lol 😂😂

D

Deleted member 1258

Cheers Dave r , it’s another bit on Coventry history I had no idea about . The trouble is I am a new boy to the city , I’ve only been here since 1988 lol 😂😂

I'm not native, I came here looking for work in 1973, and I've been here since, married a local girl, brought a house and raised a family.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/pollard.html

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1592046923509.png

There is a 1986 Schwinn Passage in here somewhere. Just a frame a fellow had on Bike Forums last year, I built it from a bare frame and old narrow set cantilever brakes. Columbus steel, as a number of Schwinns were that year. Made in Mississippi. This was the touring bicycle above the Super Le Tour, but below the Voyageur. This is the second Passage I have rebuilt, I had the rare misty pinkish one a number of years ago, but it got all noodly carrying a heavy rider and heavy touring load around. My next Bitsa will be a Bianchi Squadra with an aluminum fork from an old Trek racing bike, and whatever Campagnolo or Shimano 600 I can glean from the co-op after it reopens.

Ludacris

View attachment 529121

This is a bike I bought from Sprockets in Digbeth about 10 years ago. The frame is definitely a Raleigh but the mudguards looked like they came from a Halford's commuter. It's got a riser stem from an MTB and I think the brake levers must have come from it as well. The crankset is definitely modern and the cotter pin spindle has been replaced with a square taper one.

I rode the bike for about a year but it was far too small for me so I got a scrap bike of ebay and transferred most of the bits to it's frame. They were also eventually replaced. About the only things now left from the original bike are the saddle and stem.

View attachment 529122

I’ve got an absolute identical Raleigh Wayfarer in untouched condition in my collection that I’m about to sell.

In fact, are you sure that’s not mine?
^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I could be wrong, but I think the mens Wayfarer was only available in 21" and 23" sizes. The early Pioneers up to about '92 were available up to 25", and I believe the Dawes Diploma 3-speeds were as well.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Bitsa bikes? Is there any other kind?

Here's my favourite, 1995 Marin Stinson resprayed with homebuilt wheels made of ebay purchase hubs, spokes and rims.

Tyres, bottom bracket, headset, bars, gears all from my box of bits. V brakes from China.

Biggest expense was a paintjob by Argos Racing Cycles. Worth every penny to me.

I've ridden thousands of miles on this and love it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Here's my favourite, 1995 Marin Stinson resprayed with homebuilt wheels made of ebay purchase hubs, spokes and rims...…...
Biggest expense was a paintjob by Argos Racing Cycles. Worth every penny to me.

I assume it must have a pretty decent cro-moly frame to justify the expense of an Argos repaint. The thought of spending two hundred quid to pretty up a low-end hi-tensile job would be enough to give me a funny turn.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I assume it must have a pretty decent cro-moly frame to justify the expense of an Argos repaint. The thought of spending two hundred quid to pretty up a low-end hi-tensile job would be enough to give me a funny turn.
It was Tange double butted, and was so comfortable from the moment I sat on it. Looked at from one perspective it makes no sense, but compared with the cost of a fairly basic new tourer it is an absolute bargain. All I can say is that I haven't regretted it for a moment.^_^

All uphill

Still rolling along
This thread has inspired me to build a bike based on this Raleigh 531 frame which has been hanging around for a while. Here's my morning's work.

Wheels from an old Carrera, Tektro long drop brakes, a little used Acera derailler. Only the bar tape is new.

This one will go up on Gumtree. I want the space.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The way I look at it is, a steel frame with no moving parts is never going to wear out so there's no reason not to refurb one for a DIY custom build, even if it's market value is bugger all. I've had one fail on me, but it was in a battered state when got in a £10 job lot of donors and had probably had a very hard life. I doubt there's much qualitative difference between a Tange and something like Reynolds 501 in reality, both quality steels. I'd happily stump up for a powder coat on the right frame, not so sure about a wet finish that will probably be less durable though.
If you do a DIY build around a 20 year old steel frame and it ends up costing the same as a mass-market hybrid but lasts another 20 years it's not really that extravagant in the scheme of things, and yours turned out pretty well..
Plenty of carbonistas lose far more than that in depreciation within just their first year of ownership!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The way I look at it is, a steel frame with no moving parts is never going to wear out so there's no reason not to refurb one for a DIY custom build, even if it's market value is bugger all. I've had one fail on me, but it was in a battered state when got in a £10 job lot of donors and had probably had a very hard life. I doubt there's much qualitative difference between a Tange and something like Reynolds 501 in reality, both quality steels. I'd happily stump up for a powder coat on the right frame, not so sure about a wet finish that will probably be less durable though.
If you do a DIY build around a 20 year old steel frame and it ends up costing the same as a mass-market hybrid but lasts another 20 years it's not really that extravagant in the scheme of things, and yours turned out pretty well..
Plenty of carbonistas lose far more than that in depreciation within just their first year of ownership!
you certainly live up to your forum name.........

Top Bottom