Show us your Daft, Pointless or plain hard to use cycle lanes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnthonyC

Regular
Elephant and Castle.jpg

Elephant and Castle..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
cycle lanes as bad as the sitcom.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This was / is somewhere around Cambridge

View attachment 150048
Looks like an access point to a cycle track, but they omitted the turn arrow? Better than North Somerset, where they included the arrow but omitted the dropped kerb:
Screenshot from 2016-11-04 10:28:06.jpg

(edit: after I reported it a few times, this was fixed)

Cycle lanes that only go the length of a T junction are really useful.
Especially when they direct people into prime left-hook/SMIDSY-pull-out location :banghead:

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
This was / is somewhere around Cambridge

View attachment 150048

Looks like an access point to a cycle track, but they omitted the turn arrow?
It looks to me like they've just used a cycle lane to create a pinch point on that speed cushion.

I was told on my speed awareness course that cycle lanes were often put in just to narrow the road as a cheap traffic calming measure. I have mentioned it before on this forum but somebody said I was talking bollocks so I must've dreamt it or something.

classic33

Leg End Member
It looks to me like they've just used a cycle lane to create a pinch point on that speed cushion.

I was told on my speed awareness course that cycle lanes were often put in just to narrow the road as a cheap traffic calming measure. I have mentioned it before on this forum but somebody said I was talking bollocks so I must've dreamt it or something.
Local council did just that. Then had it pointed out the lanes, at 18", weren't wide enough. Well placed! concrete bollards met your handlebars.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
One common approach to cycle lanes in Melbourne is to make them green, to better stand out from the other lanes. This is laudable, but the only problem is what is used to make the green colour: it's green ground glass fragments! :thumbsdown: For months after any of these lanes is resurfaced in this crappy material, cyclists get increased punctures. One of Melbourne's councilors replied to a thread on this topic in an Australian cycling forum a few years back, and he swore that the stuff never caused punctures, because it was carefully ground up to the point where it had no sharp edges, but he clearly didn't do much cycling in these lanes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think it's more likely that whoever told you it was talking bollocks. Highways designers seem pretty busy so I doubt they often deliver speed awareness courses.

One of Melbourne's councilors replied to a thread on this topic in an Australian cycling forum a few years back, and he swore that the stuff never caused punctures, because it was carefully ground up to the point where it had no sharp edges, but he clearly didn't do much cycling in these lanes.
Ah, we've suffered so-called "glasphalt" in the UK too, most famously http://road.cc/content/news/179157-has-glass-asphalt-stopped-racing-odd-down-cycle-circuit

One theory I've been told is that although the glass doesn't have sharp edges at first, but putting it down incorrectly may break some of it, leaving sharp edges, then they're ground down, but then the winter freezes cracks some of the glass (because we don't often grit cycle lanes or tracks), creating more sharp edges. :crazy:

classic33

Leg End Member
I think it's more likely that whoever told you it was talking bollocks. Highways designers seem pretty busy so I doubt they often deliver speed awareness courses.:crazy:
Search out Ovenden Way for proof then!

They've managed three in one on there.

Dannz

Regular
Barnsbury Road, London N1.
Safari.png
data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-My1mFbpRp_KVcMLBmJOjg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Attachments

• Safari.png
    Safari.png
    413.2 KB · Views: 40

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Wetmore Road, Burton. It's a good job the barely visible cycle lane's not mandatory, as the road's not wide enough for cars to stay out of it.
=S0q7EczD1egVZ3rpKMsXsw&heading=127.39734895993423&fov=90&pitch=-11.399019486320157&sensor=false.jpg

Dannz

Regular
Corner of Great Dover Street and Globe Street, London.

Double red lines mean no stopping at any time for ANY purpose.

You get fined if you stop at double red lines, you get fined if you cross the stop line at a red light.

Firefox.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Corner of Great Dover Street and Globe Street, London.

Double red lines mean no stopping at any time for ANY purpose.

You get fined if you stop at double red lines, you get fined if you cross the stop line at a red light.

View attachment 150228

You are allowed to stop on a red route if the traffic is stationary or if there are red lights, box junctions etc.
You're just not allowed to pull over and stop, unlike double yellows where you are allowed to pull over to drop off or pick up passengers.

Top Bottom