Show us your Daft, Pointless or plain hard to use cycle lanes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Not sure what the point of this one is in Rawtenstall...
https://goo.gl/maps/837LvxJxnE12
?temp_hash=e6a6cfcd09fff95c68f4b00c787e8c11.jpg

Deane Road, Bolton - Cyclists are permitted to go straight on and vehicles are permitted to turn left. We think.
https://goo.gl/maps/bQZUhVtATw12

There are a few of these islands on Bury and Rochdale Road.
Some start the on road cycle lane, others are just randomly along it, in this case it narrows the road causing the cycle lane on the opposite site to narrow. They are usually full of crap, grot and glass and I usually come out of the cycle lane and pass it on the right to avoid punctures.

Attachments

• bacuprd.jpg
    bacuprd.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 116
  • deanerd.jpg
    deanerd.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 110
  • upload_2016-10-29_16-8-57.png
    upload_2016-10-29_16-8-57.png
    397.9 KB · Views: 59
  • upload_2016-10-29_16-8-58.png
    upload_2016-10-29_16-8-58.png
    397.9 KB · Views: 51
  • roch.jpg
    roch.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 116
  • ?temp_hash=e6a6cfcd09fff95c68f4b00c787e8c11.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 43
    96.2 KB · Views: 54
    93.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:

GuyBoden

Guru
ad_213231583.jpg

The cycle lane in Nottingham that seems to be pretty useless (Picture: NTI)

"Some bright spark decided that rather than having cyclists go for another few feet they needed to mount the kerb and negotiate a sharp turn."
Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/18/is-th...ycle-lane-ever-painted-6013255/#ixzz4OURKqThI

Attachments

• ad_213231583.jpg
    ad_213231583.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 65

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Can't go onto the M2 but lets divert the shared use path across the off-slip :sad:

Pointless 1.jpg

Pointless green boxes that nobody has a clue how to work

Pointless 2.jpg

This one is actually good most of the time. Shared use along a DC which I ride up often enough, but ride down on the road (or is it?)

Shared use.jpg

boydj

Legendary Member
View attachment 149571 We have this complete mess. It was a classic 2 lane B road which was too busy to cycle unless you had a death wish, then the much needed village bypass was built so the council decided in their wisdom to make a cycle/traffic route. This road is now classed as a single track road with passing places.

You can follow the road by clicking here

The problem now is cars travel at warp speed along this road no doubt thinking they are on a roller coaster ride. They don't have a clue how the road markings work or how to deal with the undulating surface at speeds of over 100mph. Many cyclists have been killed or seriously injured on this road yet the council will not put any traffic calming in.

Bit of an exaggeration there. I've cycled over the Eaglesham Moor road many times. It's not a busy road at all, since the M77 runs parallel. I can't recall any stories about cyclists being killed there, at least not this century.

I believe that by making the road a single track road it has calmed traffic down a bit and made it safer for cyclists. It's certainly very popular for cycling at the week-ends.

Edit : Or maybe you were talking about your own driving?

Bit of an exaggeration there. I've cycled over the Eaglesham Moor road many times. It's not a busy road at all, since the M77 runs parallel. I can't recall any stories about cyclists being killed there, at least not this century.

I believe that by making the road a single track road it has calmed traffic down a bit and made it safer for cyclists. It's certainly very popular for cycling at the week-ends.

Edit : Or maybe you were talking about your own driving?
I don't know the nature of the accident but there's only been one fatality in the last 17years of RTC's on Eaglesham Moor and whilst its not best placed to speculate as the accident involved a single vehicle and 4 casualties, I'm guessing it wasn't a bike :sad:

Jenkins

Legendary Member

winjim

Smash the cistern
street-furniture-obstruction-to-the-cycle-path-penistone-road-hillsborough-CT95G6.jpg

They've since moved the traffic signal control box, but what really annoys me is the tactile paving. It's like that on all the cycle paths round here and was clearly put down by somebody who has no idea how a bike balances or the dynamic envelope. It's downright dangerous. Especially in winter if it's a bit slippy, it guides your tyres into a "straight" line and flips you off balance. If I ever use the path, which is rarely, I nip over to the pedestrian bit to cross it, where it runs side to side and is much safer to ride over.

what really annoys me is the tactile paving. It's like that on all the cycle paths round here and was clearly put down by somebody who has no idea how a bike balances or the dynamic envelope. It's downright dangerous. Especially in winter if it's a bit slippy, it guides your tyres into a "straight" line and flips you off balance. If I ever use the path, which is rarely, I nip over to the pedestrian bit to cross it, where it runs side to side and is much safer to ride over.

Unfortunately it is not the fault of a local idiot. It is this way round all over the country. Tactile paving is for the benefit of people with impaired vision and does not take the needs or desires of other users into consideration. It is all laid out in BS 7997:2003 (according to Wikipedia ... I do not plan to pay for the privilege of downloading a copy to check)

Gixxerman

Guru
Rather odd one here that got reported in the local press.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1sj7W9A8TiLM33U3EO1nf83A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I think it is to make cyclists cross the road at 90 degrees to continue on the cyclepath opposite. But surely it would be safer to just let them indicate right move to crown of the road and turn right as normal? Unless that were concerned abonb cars approaching from the left cutting the corner and coming in to conflict with cyclists waiting to turn right.
Linwood Cycle Lane.jpg

keithmac

Guru
First two pictures are the same roundabout, I have ridden and driven round this and to be honest it's nonsensical, would be far better unmarked. The cycle lane puts cars and bikes far too close together.

The third picture is a long straight road, you would be forgiven for thinking there isn't a cycle lane on each side of it due to the poor road markings. To be fair it doesn't make a blind bit of difference anyway as on a normal day there will be 20+ cars parked on them making the lanes totally unusable..

Screenshot_2016-10-31-10-19-23.png
Screenshot_2016-10-31-10-18-56.png
Screenshot_2016-10-31-10-23-15.png

Top Bottom