Show us your lights!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BentMikey said:
The astrum has steady, both flashing, alternating flashing, and off.

Hmm... does sound worth considering. What's the battery life like in each mode?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
yashicamat said:
What's the flashing pattern on that Astrum? Do they alternate from side to side or flash together? I've just bought a Mars 4.0 so a bit late for me now. :sad:

The Mars 4.0 is one of the best made lights out there - I've got the Mars 4, Mars 3 and the Astrum on now (replaced a dodgy Smart 1/2 watt that would leak rather a lot).

The Astrum should last slightly less than a Smart in burn time - 8 hours would seem OK.

Very impressed with the Astrum, even the button is easy to get to (located between the two lenses), it's large and can be operated with gloves.

The alternating flash mode is a bit mad.... steady, flash and alternating.

The diffused lense is good for a broad spread of light, coupled with the 'spot' for 'zappng' those behind. B)

AlanW

Guru
Here's my front and rear....

Twin Lumicycle Halide units, spot and flood

resizedlumicycle.jpg

Two lots of Cateyes at the rear

resizedcateye.jpg

Norm

I did some comparative pictures this evening.

All shots taken at 1/30" at F5 and an ISO equivalent of 3200. In case anyone else is as anal as me. :smile: The lights were about 20' from the garage door.

Firstly, base reading, Cateye HL-EL135 3LED, available from any bike retailer and a "to be seen" light. I used it because I reckon many here should be familiar with it, so you can visualise how it compares.
th_CateyeHL-EL135.jpg

Second shot, the same Cateye on the left but, on the right, an Exposure Joystick Maxx 2 on its lowest setting. Unfortunately, I've just realised that the sensor light came on but it's brighter with a much broader spread of light.
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoysticklow.jpg

Third shot, same two lights but this time the Joystick is on full power. The light from the Cateye is almost completely swallowed up, you can just see the faint blue tinge.
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoystickhigh.jpg

Shot number 4 and the big guns are coming out. An Exposure Enduro Maxx on low power. It's not as bright as the Joystick on full power but it is still enough to overwhelm the Cateye.
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxlow.jpg

Last one, the Cateye is still in there, completely swallowed up by the Enduro Maxx on full beam. Ouch.
th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxHigh.jpg

Attachments

• th_CateyeHL-EL135.jpg
    th_CateyeHL-EL135.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 23
  • th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoysticklow.jpg
    th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoysticklow.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 29
  • th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoystickhigh.jpg
    th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureJoystickhigh.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 24
  • th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxlow.jpg
    th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxlow.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 24
  • th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxHigh.jpg
    th_CateyeHL-EL135ExposureMaxxHigh.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 25
I have a 'to be seen' catseye light and a (even) less powerful cheapo led light on the front. The intention is to have one on steady and the other one flashing, just to be a little more eye catching. I've not yet decided which should be flashing and which should be on constant. And indeed which should be on the near side and which on the other side. I'm only on lit city roads so I don't need either to light my way.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm - I had my first experience of how the Hope 1 dies on you last night ... I thought my light was mal-functioning ... luckily I have two other front lights - but I was on the bit of my journey with the potholes where I wanted the extra light. How long do you generally find the Hope 1 lasts - these are rechargeable batteries - of mixed power.

potsy

Rambler
You need a good set summerdays,I got some 2650 rated duracell's and they have done me this week nearly 9 hours on level2(medium) my other light have 2450's? and died right near the end of my ride in this morning over 8 hours though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I think I was using full power quite a bit - novelty factor and some of the batteries were 1800 or something like that written on the side - Mr Summerdays has now shown me that not all batteries are equal. I've now grabbed the ones with the biggest numbers on.

potsy

Rambler
summerdays said:
Well I think I was using full power quite a bit - novelty factor and some of the batteries were 1800 or something like that written on the side - Mr Summerdays has now shown me that not all batteries are equal. I've now grabbed the ones with the biggest numbers on.
That'll do it,even with decent batteries you'll only get 3 hours on full power.Don't forget once they go you can turn it back on low after a couple of minutes and they'll last 20 mins or so at a guess.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My Lights
Front:
1x Hope Vision 1 (medium level)
1x Cateye EL320 (flashing)
Rear:
1x Cateye TL-LD610 (constant mode)
1x Knog Skink (trail mode)
1x Fibre flare (flashing)
All 3 of the rear lights batteries also need charging at this point.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
very happy with my hope vision 1. it gives me just the right amount of light. i tend to keep it on full power out in the country side.

I'm using 2650mAh rechargeable in my hope vision 1. I managed four 45 minute commutes, mainly on full power with flash mode for the first 10 minuets through town.

i didn't want to suffer from shut down so i ran the batteries down at home and the light lasted for nearly another hour on full power and then longer still on low power.

then fitted second set of batteries and recharged the others.

I'm going by the same idea that you use on video camera batteries, it's best to run them right down before you recharge them.

is this true ??

Top Bottom