Show us your marmalade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Very "National Trust" labels! I have a labelling machine that prints out strictly utilitarian stuff on a plastic strip. I can never put them on the jars straight so I go for a wildly jaunty angle.
I think that Waitrose now has a supply of these oranges.......

I can't work out whether to start on my tax return or start getting sticky.

Buy the oranges first, then decide!
Seriously, it's a very short season. If you have a local greengrocer, see if they have any, as they'll probably be much cheaper than Waitrose.

I normally buy them on the market or keep an eye out on yellow sticker. But I find the fruit on the market tends to be of better quality.

Pairing them with sweet oranges makes a very nice marmalade. Keep an eye out for a variety called Lane Late.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have batches of light and dark seville made, as well as some previous 4 fruit (Grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime) made when last year's ran out. A bit of lime worked really well, not done that before.

I have batches of light and dark seville made, as well as some previous 4 fruit (Grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime) made when last year's ran out. A bit of lime worked really well, not done that before.

Orange, lime and ginger is absolutely sublime. :hungry: I go for a one orange to one lime ratio, which works out around 2 parts orange to1 part lime by weight.

My standard marmalade is what I call "double orange" which is equal parts Seville to sweet. :blush:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My standard marmalade is what I call "double orange" which is equal parts Seville to sweet. :blush:

I like my Seville hit untainted! Except by a dollop of dark treacle in the dark stuff.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ring your favourite supplier and ask them to keep them in the freezer for you. Freezing the oranges makes not a jot of difference to the yummy outcome. If I don't have the time for a big session of making I keep mine in the freezer.

I heard that freezing Sevilles is fine. The problem is that I only know Mr Waitrose and he might be a bit busy. I'll try my daughter instead.

Mr Tesco now also has Seville oranges in at £2 for a kilo box.

They also have Navelina oranges in, which are fabulous if you're looking for a decent sweet orange to make marmalade with. The other variety to look for is Lane Late.

Jameshow

Veteran
Right I have 8 large oranges and 4 lemons can anyone recommend a good simple recipe, slightly sharp so I don't use too much sugar / marmalade?

Right I have 8 large oranges and 4 lemons can anyone recommend a good simple recipe, slightly sharp so I don't use too much sugar / marmalade?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/recipe-reynards-easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy-marmalade.256471/

I've won first prizes for my marmalade at produce shows using this method. I have tweaked a bit insomuch that I cut and soak my fruit on the first day, cook it on the second, and on the third, add the sugar and turn into marmalade. But you don't have to if you've not the time to do so.

Top Bottom