Show us your marmalade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
(This is a sticky thread, BTW.)

A year ago, I made my first batch of six jars. Delia Smith's online recipe worked an absolute treat, but I had to venture forth and tool-up with the equipment to make it......an IKEA stockpot, a cheapo citrus juicer from Lakeland, some jam jars, muslin, waxed paper rings, a jam funnel etc etc. I reckon that my first batch of six jars cost about £16 per jar. I was horrified.

Anyway, I'm going back into the trenches shortly for an audacious production run of 12 jars now that I have the tools.

What are you lot up to?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i'm actually eating marmalade and peanut butter on toast. Aldi's thick cut. Its very nice, but I'd rather be in bed.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
This is my marmalade

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Though we do have this as well

download (1).jpg

8 lbs of Seville Orange marmalade made yesterday. 6 lbs each of lime, and lemon and lime, made before Xmas (that was a mistake .... it's almost all gone, as gifts :smile:/:sad:. Marmalade makers are generally very generous people --- on condition that the giftee returns the empty jar, preferably with an extra empty as thanks; :wacko: but true.). Making some lemon and ginger today, and a few more pounds of Seville orange.

Lotta work - but oh, so worth it. I love the strong citrussy tang of home-made, compared to the sickly sweet bought stuff, and there's summat meditative about working through 5 kilos of fruit, peeling and chopping into tiny pieces.

BUT ... you forgot the most important piece of equipment .....

...... a shockingly thick slab of home-made bread, slathered with butter, laden with the pan scrapings after a session. DON'T tell anybody else - that's cook's perks. Nothing ever tastes quite like that first taste of a batch. Excuse me, gotta get off and prepare lemons :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Oh - and the WI site has good recipes for marmalade. Come on - they're the professionals :laugh:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The other day Mrs Dave made 2 jars at the end of a larger batch that had chilli flakes (chillis grown by me) mixed in. Really nice! It would make a good ham glaze.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Although the Frank Cooper's has to be the definitive marmalade this is really very good and some might appreciate the reduced sugar.
LN_034912_BP_11.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You can bog off with your "fine cut". Not as bad as Mrs N who will only have the "jelly" bit-less stuff....but not far off
There was lady in Aldi the other week asking if we sold marmalade without any bits. I apologised and said we didn't, before barring her for life. It seemed like the decent thing to do.

Top Bottom