Show us your marmalade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This is my marmalade

View attachment 334535
Though we do have this as well

View attachment 334536
This isn't the Marmite thread, old bean.

Jam, marmalade and chutney maker here. No fancy kit, just the usual stuff that's knocking about in the kitchen. ^_^ I make according to a) what's in the garden and b) what I can get on yellow sticker.

Mum's really the marmalade person here chez Casa Reynard. I can take it or leave it, prefer things like jam or fruit butter on my toast of a morning. However, fruit cake needs a generous dollop of marmalade in it. :hungry:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I had marmalade gin the other week.... :wahhey:

There's also a marmalde vodka.

index.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There does seem to be a complete lack of marmalade photos on this thread given the subject title.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
There does seem to be a complete lack of marmalade photos on this thread given the subject title.
OK, here you go.
Pale and interesting on the left, darker and even more interesting on the right, some of it in antique jars (registration numbers for 1909/10, almost certainly made before WW1). "Refrigerate after opening" instruction precautionary for giveaway jars, as I make marmalade with much less than the WI recipe indicating 2:1 sugar to fruit by weight; mine is normally about 1.3:1, which may compromise keeping quality, but results, I think, in a healthier and better flavoured product. The jar on the extreme right wasn't quite filled, and has been started on already - a half jar of the paler marmalade was seen off within a couple of days of making.
DSCN0936.JPG

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
OK, here you go.
Pale and interesting on the left, darker and even more interesting on the right, some of it in antique jars (registration numbers for 1909/10, almost certainly made before WW1). "Refrigerate after opening" instruction precautionary for giveaway jars, as I make marmalade with much less than the WI recipe indicating 2:1 sugar to fruit by weight; mine is normally about 1.3:1, which may compromise keeping quality, but results, I think, in a healthier and better flavoured product. The jar on the extreme right wasn't quite filled, and has been started on already - a half jar of the paler marmalade was seen off within a couple of days of making.
View attachment 334683

That's more like it. Bravo.

Just a wee OT diversion. But :tongue:

Bottling sloe vodka the other day got me thinking - about what else might work. Seville Oranges? That intense, deep orange flavour, with its peppery-spicey notes ... in gin? Quick dash to Leeds Market on the off chance there might JUST still be Seville Oranges - and yup! Picked 6 of the best - only to be offered the rest of the basket; end of season - he wanted rid.

Sooooo - first try tonight. Quick Google - this looked/sounded/read best ... http://lukehoney.typepad.com/the_greasy_spoon/2014/01/seville-orange-gin.html

Tasted the first rough, unmellowed, unmacerated mix - and it's sublime. Sooooo promising for three months time.

Sorry folks - bad timing if you're in Leeds. But there's always next year :smile: Liquid marmalade :wacko:

Hyslop

Veteran
Those of you who have posted here may well be aware of the World Championship Marmalade Contest being held this weekend at Dalemain in Cumbria.Indeed, did any of you enter?It's become quite a large event, attracting world wide entries, indeed it seems China and Japan hold their own events. Well, yesterday I chanced upon an American lady in Penrith, looking for her hotel.As we walked to it, she told me that she was from New York and was the winner! So good for her I say, long way to come all the same.The town shops all sport Orange coloured displays and along the streets, marking a trail for the children,are Paddington's paw prints in an orange paint!

Motobecane

Guru
Those of you who have posted here may well be aware of the World Championship Marmalade Contest being held this weekend at Dalemain in Cumbria.Indeed, did any of you enter?It's become quite a large event, attracting world wide entries, indeed it seems China and Japan hold their own events. Well, yesterday I chanced upon an American lady in Penrith, looking for her hotel.As we walked to it, she told me that she was from New York and was the winner! So good for her I say, long way to come all the same.The town shops all sport Orange coloured displays and along the streets, marking a trail for the children,are Paddington's paw prints in an orange paint!
I entered a few years ago. You have to pay to enter your marmalade and as I remember its not cheap. I got some certificates and some very thorough tasting notes from the judges.

Motobecane

Guru
Totally unashamed links to one of @Shaun 's other sites:
http://www.cookingbites.com/threads/seville-orange-season.6667/
http://www.cookingbites.com/threads/lime-marmalade.6078/

If I can be bothered and the sun shines, I'll post pics of this year's production here later; a couple of small batches made on the last two Sundays, one with mostly granulated sugar with some demerara, one with mostly demerara and some muscovado. Why is the seville season so short?:cry:

Thanks for the links. I'm a staff member and regular poster over there under a different name (Morning Glory). ^_^

Top Bottom