Show us your MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Cannondale lefty F2 carbon , never bothered about the maintenance routine for the fork. Have a old Rush full suspension with the lefty fork never been sent away for service . Think it's because it's upside down compared to the way most forks are set up.

DSC_2507.JPG

Windle

Über Member
The first run out on a fairly recent acquisition ~ a Trek 810 Singletrack, from around the turn of the century (that still doesn't sound right)!
As with my Univega I completely stripped it down right away (been watching too many YouTube videos) and serviced / fettled as necessary. It's had a new bottom bracket and brake blocks but the rest seems OK, even the headset was in decent condition. The frame is tatty and battle scarred and the front & rear mechs looked like they had come off a bike from the bottom of a canal, but an overnight soak in turpentine and a scrub sorted them. A bit of WD40 sorted the sticking gear shifters and I didn't even bother changing the cables as it shifts well enough, though the lack of intermediate stops for the front mech causes a bit of chain rub at the extreme ends of the block in some gears. The seat is decidedly secondhand so I may replace it, but it's OK for what I'll be using it for, and original. Even the ski ramp upswept stem doesn't seem as awkward as it looks. It's a heavy old lump mind, but was still enjoyable on it's first outing, maybe it's the (relative) old fashioned-ness of this type of bike that rekindles memories of being a kid, discovering bikes and how easy it was to travel decent distances with ease.

GOPR0231.JPG

GOPR0232.JPG

Windle

Über Member
I appear to be developing the equivalent of what guitarists call GAS, except it's BAS ~ bicycle acquisition syndrome. Another old mountain bike / hybrid and a rigid front fork one this time, Marin Bear Valley SE. First ride out and it's running spot on. The gearing seems a bit high mind, and those tyres aren't really suitable for gravely trails or wet grass but it rides well, with an oddly silent freewheel. It's a bit of a mish mash of parts but does the job of being subtly different to my other two oldies. I might try the wheels off one of my others to see what difference bigger MTB tyres make. I've been fancying knocking up a drop bar MTB / gravel bike for ages as well (I even tried an old Giant Chicago with 700c wheels and the Campag Xenon groupset from my Caygill road bike last year, but it wasn't a particularly successful project and is now on the turbo). We shall see.....

GOPR0312.JPG

Top Bottom