Show us your shades!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
1634305000716.png

One for cycling, one for not-cycling.

What more could a chap need?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Since my last post I've refurbished the nose bridge of my carbon/black Juliet, replacing the rubber gaskets so the frames are nice and tight again now :okay: I also managed to get a replacement lens for the damaged Flak XL's that I threw down the road :laugh:

Excitingly I found a pair of Eyejackets in the exact colour combo of my first ever pair of Oakleys on eBay - they're not in great condition but they were a bargain so snapped them up for the collection...

I'll probably never wear them, it was certainly a nostalgia fuelled purchase :laugh:

I didn't stop there though - I also added another pair of Juliet's to the collection, Plasma frames with 24K lenses 😊 They're rather pretty...

You'd think I would have stopped there, but not... I've been looking for a long time for a nice pair of X-Metal XX 24K's but they come up infrequently and the prices are normally silly. Then a pair appeared on eBay for less than the usual going rate that sounded too good to be true; stored for 18 years in a safe in their original box, perfect condition etc etc... So I watched them on ebay for over 2 weeks during which time they received no bids and were relisted twice before I sparked up a conversation with the seller :laugh: Quite quickly my mind was made up, I'd placed the minimum bid and the auction was ended early for me - they'll arrive tomorrow. I'm a bit excited...

I'm going to be moving my home office around at some point soon, during which time I'll work out a way of displaying them so they're not all just stuck in a drawer :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whenever we go somewhere that's supposed to be sunny, I buy a pair of sub-£5 no-name Wayfarers from Ebay. They are hardly ever worn and they get lost at home within a couple of months. I should have learned a long time ago that they don't make me simply irresistible to the opposite sex, but it's become a strange holiday ritual.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Ooh my thread has arrived :laugh:

I sold many of my fishing ones, so I'm down to half a dozen or so, maybe more, but I also have some vintage Serengetis with the original Corning lenses, which I reckon are the best lenses ever produced. Back later when I've photographed some.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The X-Metal XX 24K's arrived today, pretty exciting 😄 They're so pretty :laugh: Here they are with my X-Metal Juliet collection in the background...

I just need to keep away from eBay for a while now. Next job will be working out how and where to display them in my study as currently they live in a drawer which is a bit sad :laugh:

Nibor

Bewildered
I wear Bolle Safety glasses from Screwfix for cycling and have a pair of Polarised Oakleys in the car for driving I forget which model they are.

Far too many Oakleys from the pilots with the brow pad up to the Radars that are my most recent Oakley.

I dabbled with Bollé for a brief period but pretty much exclusively Oakley now.

Haven't bought any for ages as I think I have enough and the modern huge glasses aren't floating my boat.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I managed to secure another pair of Juliets last week, polished frames with hammer arms rather than straight. They were in a pretty bad state and the price reflected that so thought they'd make a nice refurb project, and at the price I got them for there's the opportunity to make a few quid if I decide to sell them on.

The titanium frame sections are in good condition but everything else is knackered - rubber perished and lenses scratched beyond salvage.

Anyway, the stripdown started today 😊 First all the perished sticky rubber bits came off, followed by removing the arms and lenses.

The rubber orbital gaskets fell apart when the lens retaining screws were removed, the remaining bits are above the lenses in the image above. Next job was to press out the nosebridge pins...

These popped out fairly easily, sometimes they can be a bit of a pain :laugh:

With the pins out I could see the nosebridge flex couplers were the worst I've ever seen, they've basically turned from rubber in to a mushy paste :laugh: I've got replacements for all these rubber parts and am awaiting delivery of a pair of replacement polished pins before I can reassemble them. Before they arrive I've got lots of cleaning and polishing to do in order to get the frames gleaming again. In the meantime here is a sneak preview of one of the new Oakley Prizm Road lenses I managed to source - these weren't an option for Juliets but have been custom cut at some point and never used then sold cheaply on eBay 😄 Quite a result as they're my favourite lens to look through :okay:

I'll put another pic or two up when they're cleaned, polished and back together 😊

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i also have a pair of these sitting in the Poc helmet in the man cave - such a light pair of glasses but good eye coverage in strong sun conditions

1641302214408.png

Top Bottom