Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
unknown steel frame from the eighties painted it last week built it up this morning
DSCF2246.JPG

I have rebuilt my 25 year old Battaglin with a few new bits nicked off my crashed bike. This frame has been hit 3 times by cars, but just keeps coming back for more! The drop outs are a bit twisted and the braze on hanger for the front mech is a little high for a compact chainset (they didnt have the wimpy compacts about when this was made, back then men were men and possibly had very bad knees as a result!) I will get these sorted when I have another bike to use.

I have fitted carbon forks I (a pian to get hold of with a 1" steerer) and a set of 5700 105 levers and derailleurs I had laying around. I nicked the Ultegra 6700 wheels and crank set off the crashed bike and fitted new cables all round. Very pleased with it and hopefully will be able to get out and about on it in the next few weeks as I have stepped up physio to twice a week now.

DSCN2183_zps22d5ad9a.jpg

DSCN2186_zps22aefe85.jpg

philtalksbx

Über Member
Here's loud and steel

64dq34.jpg

Just finished cleaning her up after the first week's commuting and some more parts swapping.
1990 Raleigh Veloce in 531 running 105/Exage 2x7 with A530 SPDs and Bluemels guards.
Originally bought as an inexpensive emergency "get my son to work on Monday" when my bike shed got done over for the loss of three bikes. Found it had more to offer than that so it is now my winter commuter, a job it is brilliant at if the first week is anything to go by.

BSRU

A Human Being
Here's loud and steel

64dq34.jpg

Just finished cleaning her up after the first week's commuting and some more parts swapping.
1990 Raleigh Veloce in 531 running 105/Exage 2x7 with A530 SPDs and Bluemels guards.
Originally bought as an inexpensive emergency "get my son to work on Monday" when my bike shed got done over for the loss of three bikes. Found it had more to offer than that so it is now my winter commuter, a job it is brilliant at if the first week is anything to go by.
I assume you live in Australia:tongue:

philtalksbx

Über Member
That colour scheme is very much of the time. Interesting.

Afraid it shares some other features of cars I had at the time - bright but not the greatest quality. The paint chips if you blow on it so love it as I do, it may get blasted and powdered before too long

IncoherentJeff

Very nice. We seem to get quite a few of these down here. Has yours got the two spare spokes clipped to the chain stays? Unfortunately MTBs are more popular here so people don't seem to want sports bikes. Recently bought a lovely Bianchi which I've posted below.

Nice Bianchi! Sadly no spare spokes on the chain stays but it's an interesting idea I'll look into it.

Now fitted with mudguards & a pannier rack. All black of course. :becool:

Waiting for some reflectors & lights to arrive so back on the more modern bike for a little while.

IMAG0128.jpg
had a bit of Luck on Wednesday. my daughter needed some butter to bake some flapjacks so we took a trip to the local cornershop - funnily enough called good news. as we were leaving, I spotted a small ad advertising a few old bikes for sale. I called up the person in question and called round to see the bike. the lady said that it was in the garden with the front wheel removed so I wasn't expecting much but I have been looking for some replacement parts for other projects - specifically one that is on going for @Aaron Mc Connell .

when the lady showed me the bike, this is what I saw! exactly the right size and in great condition. Money handed over.

IMAG0128.jpg

there wasn't much to do to be honest but a new rear innertube and a pump up and a mickle of the chain and off I went the next day.

45 miler to give it a bit of a shake down and the result is a very comfortable bike. not sure what to do with it now to be honest, I have a dawes and genesis equilibrium but this has grown on me already.

decisions decisions

IMAG0145.jpg

this seemed quite apt due to the fact that the lady I bought the bike from was going to take it to the tip the following day - divine intervention indeed!

IMAG0146.jpg

Top Bottom