Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The rebuild is now officially underway. The new BB is fitted, any rust spots treated and then the whole frame has been treated with Waxoyl, thoroughly cleaned and T-Cut and any scratches have been touched up.

The brake calipers, levers, stem and chainset have all been cleaned and polished and the new bars are fitted.

The rebirth shall continue apace tomorrow........................................

There's not much to see thus far but here's a pic of the work in progress anyway :smile:

Rebuild 1.jpg

Raleight Record Sprint update: the re-build is basically done but there are still some bits and bats to do. BTW ignore the seatpost height, it's not right as it is but it's just sat in ATM ;)

20140727_132731.jpg 20140727_133035.jpg 20140727_133046.jpg 20140727_133054.jpg 20140727_133102.jpg 20140727_133157.jpg

It's been a sympatetic rebuild on a very tight budget. New UN55 BB, inner cables, brake blocks, seatpost, bottle cage, rimtape, bartape and tyres.

Cleaned and re-used cable outers and chain, for time being at least.

Frame has been cleaned, polished, touched up and waxoyled. Wheels and headset stripped and re-greased. All spokes have also been cleaned with wire wool but they're too far gone to get a shine on, they look better than they did though.

Mechs, calipers, levers, stem and outer headset all polished.

The saddle has been washed and the cover glued back in place as it was near hanging off. It's not ideal but it will have to do until funding improves.

105 SPD-SL pedals re-cycled off my lads fixed, but they needed touching up where he'd laid his bike down and scuffed them up :ninja:

All in all I'm very happy. Time will tell how the bars and I get along, but for now I like the idea of them and I'm grateful to @biggs682 for the opportunity to use them :thumbsup:

Still to do:
  • Set up mechs and index gears.
  • Set up brakes.
  • Tweak rear hub (feels tight).
  • Trim all cables and fit cable end crimps.
  • Source a pair of 10 tooth jockey wheels as these ones are FUBAR and the bikes going nowhere until I do!
If I'm happy with it once it's on the road then one day in the future I might go the whole hog and do a resto like THIS on her, but until then she's clean, she's honest, and although she may no longer be completely original, she is mine ^_^

Ladep Rewop

28lz47n.jpg

My Charge at the top of Bignor Hill on the South Downs

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
Here's my trusty old Steel steed, a 1988 Raleigh Kellogg's Pro Tour, I rebuilt it earlier this year, 3x8 conversion, Claris shifters, Tiagra triple crank Tiagra front mech, Tiagra dual pivot brakes, 105 rear mech, Sram Cassette, sram 9 speed chain, RSP bars, bar stem, seat and frame pump. Quill to ahead set stem and custom made spacers. Weinmann XR18 rims, original paint, rides great and love riding it.
20140701_114957.jpg

BSRU

A Human Being
Well making up for braking my Spesh Tuesday:sad: and then yesterday destroying a tyre on my first attempt to use a turbo:sad:(brake block rubbing on the sidewall, thought it was a little to hard going:blush:)

My Shand finally arrived an hour ago, sad it was so late(should have been delivered end of April/start of may) but well worth the wait^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^.

DSC01090.JPG
DSC01091.JPG
DSC01092.JPG
DSC01094.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice. Never heard of the brand before. Give us a rundown on the frame spec. As it was late I guess that could mean they have an over subscribed order book. Just shows how some of these small producers can make some excellent products. Just one more question, who is Skinnymalinky? You or the builder?

BSRU

A Human Being
Very nice. Never heard of the brand before. Give us a rundown on the frame spec. As it was late I guess that could mean they have an over subscribed order book. Just shows how some of these small producers can make some excellent products. Just one more question, who is Skinnymalinky? You or the builder?
It's a made to order fillet brazed Reynolds 853 steel road bike.
It' supposed to to take up to 3 months from order to delivery but due to a staffing issue my order was missed and not actually started until the middle of May.
http://www.shandcycles.com/frames/road/skinnymalinky-overview

Skinnymalinky is just the name of their road bike offering.
http://www.odps.org/glossword/index.php?a=term&d=3&t=209

Top Bottom