show us your vintage road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobtoo

Über Member
Fixed now. :smile:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Not a very flattering photo by any means. And not even all that vintage tbh but has proved to be a reliable steed. Ridgeback Romany once upon a time. At a guess 90's vintage not all that sure to be honest on its age. One day I will paint it properly instead of using model paint to touch it up.
View attachment 14063

We used to have cupboards like that in the first house we rented.

Also, why is there an office chair there?

My 1978 Dawes Echelon has gone through a few changes since I posted it on page 2, so here it is again!

DSCF0718.jpg

New SKS Chromoplastic guards covering Vittoria Rubino tires on Mavic rims. The rear derailleur has been upgraded to Alivio.

DSCF0721.JPG

The wheels could really do with de-lacing to give the hubs a real good clean and polish, but I don't have time for that!

Hello Hov

this looks like a bike i picked up on fleabay last year, only mine needed sandblasting and respraying so it doesnt look as original as yours.

does yours have a stamp on the bottom bracket housing, only i noticed that in your earlier post, you were trying to date it.

mine is detailed here http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/another-mystery-dawes-thread.116840/

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Hello Hov

this looks like a bike i picked up on fleabay last year, only mine needed sandblasting and respraying so it doesnt look as original as yours.

does yours have a stamp on the bottom bracket housing, only i noticed that in your earlier post, you were trying to date it.

mine is detailed here http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/another-mystery-dawes-thread.116840/
have you tried twisting one of the larger hairy pipe cleaners round the hub on about a 2" diameter this will clean the hubs as you cycle.

HovR

Über Member
Hello Hov

Indeed it does look very similar, the lugs, headbadge and fork crown are exactly the same. Can't really tell from the pictures, but I think I can see some decal work at the top of the seat stays which is similar to on mine.

Mine does have a stamp on the BB shell, however I managed to date it from the components when stripping it down. The entire groupset (with the exception of one brake) was date stamped 1978, which seems to fit in with the frame features.

HovR

Über Member
have you tried twisting one of the larger hairy pipe cleaners round the hub on about a 2" diameter this will clean the hubs as you cycle.

The 'dirt' on the hubs was actually mainly the surface layer of the aluminium becoming oxidized. I managed to get at it with some wire wool through the spokes and it's nice and shiny again now, although your method does sound ideal for regular cleaning!

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
it was a method that was used regularly by the older cyclists when I first started out, used to keep the hubs clean as long as they were changed often, although they were nasty to change if left on for too long.

Here's the unknown dawes that i set about refurbishing, bought it from a chap in Lancashire. the frame needed stripping down and respraying, all components exept front brake, chainset and 5 speed cassette had been removed by a previous owner who was running it as a single speedframe

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/another-mystery-dawes-thread.116840/

I stripped the frame down and had it sandblasted and resprayed, i didnt really have the chance to find out the original colour but the chap who spraryed the frame for me has his own panel beating shop so i went for a Volkswagen Passat Metallic Silver!

i have used the shimano RS30 wheels that i used to have on my Giant rapid (now sold) and set about furnishing it with decent secondhand bits and pieces. it now has a 105 chainset and rear mech, dura ace front mech and some new 2300 sti shifters. new cable guides from a variety of places too.

the handlebar and stem are too nice to get rid of although i would like slightly wider handlebars. the bar tape was a purchase from planet x, although the tape isnt what i ordered, the match to the paint work is spot on. in fairness to planet x, they did send out some replacement tape but it was still the wrong type - but hey, it matches perfectly so no complaints.

the pedals are some ancient SPDs that i have had for nearly 20 years.

it does ride really nicely and i am really pleased with it. so much so that i have had a new Genisis equilibrium 20 for 2 months and havent riden it yet!

i would imagine that my photos contravene all rules but hey ho

Attachments

• IMAG0280 (3).jpg
    IMAG0280 (3).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG0285 (3).jpg
    IMAG0285 (3).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 128

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Here is my Saracen Road bike that I had made in the mid-eighties fresh from 25 years storage, it looks like a simple rebuild will and a few sundries will get it road worthy (any one have any hoods for modolo brake levers out there?)

Top Bottom