show us your vintage road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul-kent

This is a 1919 Hudson
Originally had wood rims but I rode it on steel rims to preserve the originals

lincoln001.jpg

Bobtoo

Über Member
I bought this unloved Carlton Corsair for £40 back in November.

15725024030_2d6a7cf448_b.jpg

It had the worst respray I've ever seen, I'm pretty sure it was done while the bike was being ridden. I'd planned to give it a good clean/service and use it, but the mudguards were both broken and not original and the rack was held on with wire- and my son pointed out that I would just end up with a bike that served the same purpose as my Galaxy but wasn't as good, and I already have another bike like that. The next plan was to build it up with no mudguards or rack, but then a wheelset with a flip-flop rear turned up at a very reasonable price- and they came with a pair of good tan-wall 27 x 1 1/8 tyres that I've been after for the Galaxy. I hate to see a good bike butchered to make a fixie, but this was never going to be a good bike again.

21198457190_1e17cc6b73_b.jpg

It's not 100% finished. The front forks turned out to be bent, but there's a spare set in stock. If I gel with it I'll strip it and have the frame painted properly. I'm quite happy at the way it turned out though. I fitted both brakes and kept the suicide levers in an attempt to avoid being fashionable in any way but my son tells me that suicide levers are starting to catch on with the cool kids.

Edit- I forgot to mention there seems to be a reasonable paint job, also in blue, under the blow-over, judging from what I found under clamps when I removed them. It also has Mercian lettering (calling it decals would be going too far) on the down tube under the blow-over. It's definitely a Carlton though, it has a Raleigh W frame number, Raleigh branded components and a Carlton sticker still exposed on the seat tube. What would possess somebody to do a thing like that? Needless to say I'm going to sand the paint off the Mercian lettering and wear it with pride :biggrin:

Last edited:
The Falcon Professional I restored in the spring of 2021 and I am dying to ride her again!! I'm really itching for warmer weather to arrive!!

Jaguar Metallic Blue with Pearl White for the rear stays.
5 coats of clear coat.
The frame had a couple of minor dents and I filled them in with Bondo
Original Campy seat post (which was sold with this model back in the 70's).
10 speed setup and had to widen the rear stays to accommodate the rear hub/cassette.
Campy Centaur crank
Shimano 105 brakes
Shimano DuraAce rear cassette
Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur
Microshift Indexed downtube shifters and front derailleur
Specialized Bridge Seat
Replica stickers from Lloyds in England
liv bar tape
Shimano MTB style XT pedal clips
I used Alex R390 rims as I ride this in the city so wanted something tuff along with affordable..... really nice compromise.
I rode it last year and got all kinds of inquires and compliments!
I even got people asking me to restore their bikes!

Attachments

• My Falcon restored Spring 2021 This pic taken Feb 2022.jpg
    My Falcon restored Spring 2021 This pic taken Feb 2022.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 22

raymondo60

A life behind bars

Glad this thread's been resurrected- many beautiful machines. My humble offering just scrapes into the date limit. Its a 1990 (honest) Arthur Caygill, handmade from Colombus tubing at Mr Caygill's shed up in Nth Yorkshire. I bought it 9 years ago (this May) from a smashing chap who owned it fom new but hardly used it. It has Campag Athena all round, including hubs, and Mavic Reflex rims. I've changed the handlebars and saddle only, apart from the odd cable. I use it as one would a classic car - sunny weekends and holidays, and its done two Dunwich Dynamos, both wet! It rides like an absolute dream. Steel is real.

Top Bottom