Show us your watch Collection.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't beat a good Seiko. Except Kinetics, unless you wear them a lot. If you don't, they die...
I think if I ever buy another no-battery watch, it will be a Citizen Eco-Drive of sone description.

I did look at Kinetics, because they seem to pop up on the 'bay regularly - and at reasonable prices. As an engineer, the tech behind them fascinates me (it's basically the watch version of the KERS system in hybrid cars), but having read around a bit, they just seem to be far too much of a risk to buy used.

Can't fault the Seiko quartz I've had whatsoever. It's just that old age and daily wear has caught up with it.

Looking at the build quality of this 2206, I can begin to understand one of the reasons why the bottom fell out of the Swiss watch industry in the 70s. Same as what the cars did for the UK car industry around about the same time. Parentals ran a Datsun 180B and a Mk 2 Toyota Celica, and they were a cut above other cars of the era in terms of quality and spec.

Just need to get the clasp adjusted a couple of pins out, as the bracelet is just a gnat's todger too tight.

Pleased to report that the Seiko is still chuntering along quite nicely after having worn it all day yesterday. If my read-up is correct, the 2206 movement is one of those that you can't wind from the crown. It's a total contrast in a way to the Gradus, which is just that little bit older. Neither is better, they're just different.

I did remove a heck of a lot of muck from the bracelet and clasp (nailbrush, toothpaste and soap job). xx(

Had the bracelet adjusted yesterday when I dropped the Kelek off at the watchmaker for a bit of TLC.

The Kelek has always been a little bit temperamental since I bought it. A quick looksy yesterday confirmed there's nothing wrong with it, just that the old lubricants have solidified and are gumming up the works. Mum is treating me to the cost of the service. :blush: Mind you, she's been eyeing up the watch for herself... :whistle:

The watchmaker admired both the Seiko and the Kelek which was eminently satisfying. :angel: And I bet that's the first Kelek he'll have worked on, and likely may be the only one.

Hand gel is also a good way of getting muck and goo off things - and a tad less stinky.

But toothpaste is also a gentle abrasive, which is good for dealing with dirt and tarnish. I picked that particular tip up on Antiques Road Trip of all places, where Phil Serrell used it to clean a very grubby silver item he'd bought. It's tough enough to remove the dirt, but won't damage soft metals like silver.

Toothpaste works well on scuffed acrylic watch crystals btw. That's something I've run across on watch forums. I used it to give an new lease of life to the crystal on the Gradus, and it came up a treat. :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A replacement Skagen Grenen arrived today for the one that was stolen about 6 weeks ago, using a discount code as they'd refunded the purchase. All to buy a strap for my original one; so I've two, with one having a non-original strap due to the wait.

I also picked up a blue see-through strap Skagen Aaren a week ago for tempoarary use.

So in wanting to replace a Skagen strap I've gone from one Skagen to use day-to-day plus a Skagen Falster 2 smart watch which I can't work out how to operate through to four; two of the Grenen, a Falster and an Aaren.

That should do for day-to-day usage. The Rado watches are stored away anyway as investments. It's getting to be a bit like my bike collection :whistle:

Last edited:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Similar, I use isopropanol instead.

I use white spirit and a toothbrush to clean old muck off old watches and bracelets .
The science museum method is cotton wool buds (self-made, on cocktail sticks) and industrial, un-dyed, methylated spirits.

Silvo wadding (the pink cottony stuff that comes in a blue and silver tin) works well enough for me. Does the job well on most metals, not just silver.

Although wearing watches / jewellery is usually enough to keep the shine on something. The silver jewellery I wear day-to-day never tarnishes, and it looks just right rather than appearing over-polished.

Mind, I am a wearer of vintage pieces, so the very shiny look is something of a no-no, as you lose a lot of the character.

I don't know if I have posted these before. My Bulova Accutron and Tissot Seastar. The Bulova needs a special 1.3volt battery. The Tissot is running very fast.

Attachments

• DSC_0126.JPG
    DSC_0126.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0129.JPG
    DSC_0129.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 4
I don't know if I have posted these before. My Bulova Accutron and Tissot Seastar. The Bulova needs a special 1.3volt battery. The Tissot is running very fast.

That Seastar is just :wub:

I'm after a ladies' version, but preferably in stainless steel. They seem to come in either hand-wind or automatic flavours. It's just trying to find one in the right condition at the right price. And the right size. Some of them are *tiny* :wacko:

That Seastar is just :wub:

I'm after a ladies' version, but preferably in stainless steel. They seem to come in either hand-wind or automatic flavours. It's just trying to find one in the right condition at the right price. And the right size. Some of them are *tiny* :wacko:

Either my wife or my mum had a Tissot ladies watch . As you say they were small . It was the fashion in those days .

Top Bottom