Show us your watch Collection.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And I thought I was seeing things... :laugh: Can't blame it on the drink, as I'm teetotal... :blush:

But back to watches, it's funny, that Ladies ones don't fetch nearly as much on the 'bay as mens ones by the same maker, unless they're one of the more, shall we say "poncy" brands like Longines, Omega etc.

I think you gave me good advice to furkle for the obscure brands in the "bargain basement" corner. :okay: And do a bit of reading around, which has certainly been enlightening. Just because something's not so well known, doesn't necessarily mean it's a piece of tat.

If I'm right, that Kelek is basically a baby Breitling... :blush:

It seems as though big watches are the fashion these days . I have some old small ones lying around . Not sure if they are working . Oh! I have several silver ones come to think of it and a 9ct gold Smith's . I also have a couple of Art Deco style ladies watches . A Rotary bangle / bracelet type, it is hinged so that it clasps around the wrist a bit like some pincers but not meeting . The other one is an unfamiliar make , flexible bracelet with embossed flowers trailing down it from the watch body .

It seems as though big watches are the fashion these days . I have some old small ones lying around . Not sure if they are working . Oh! I have several silver ones come to think of it and a 9ct gold Smith's . I also have a couple of Art Deco style ladies watches . A Rotary bangle / bracelet type, it is hinged so that it clasps around the wrist a bit like some pincers but not meeting . The other one is an unfamiliar make , flexible bracelet with embossed flowers trailing down it from the watch body .

Mmmm yes, so it seems. I really don't get on with dad's 35mm case Longines, and that seems to be the standard size for current ladies' watches. Not great if you're tiddly like me. A big watch just gets in the way. :blush: Of course, everyone is different though, so it's wrong to generalize.

I do have one of those deco cocktail watches somewhere (was my grandmother's), but I need to put my glasses on to tell the time, the face is so tiddly. OTOH they are rather stylish and very often beautifully made. There's some very pretty ones on the 'bay with marcasite and guilloche enamel on the case and band.

Alas, I'm a practical kind of girl who likes her watches understated and simple. Same as with jewellery in general. :blush:

Mmmm yes, so it seems. I really don't get on with dad's 35mm case Longines, and that seems to be the standard size for current ladies' watches. Not great if you're tiddly like me. A big watch just gets in the way. :blush: Of course, everyone is different though, so it's wrong to generalize.

I do have one of those deco cocktail watches somewhere (was my grandmother's), but I need to put my glasses on to tell the time, the face is so tiddly. OTOH they are rather stylish and very often beautifully made. There's some very pretty ones on the 'bay with marcasite and guilloche enamel on the case and band.

Alas, I'm a practical kind of girl who likes her watches understated and simple. Same as with jewellery in general. :blush:

You just reminded me of my mum's old watch . It was a small gold plated Bulova. She hadn't worn it for years as it wasn't working . I took the back off a couple of years ago as it wasn't working . I discovered that all that was wrong was a loose screw preventing the main spring from being wound . I still have the watch in my collection .

You just reminded me of my mum's old watch . It was a small gold plated Bulova. She hadn't worn it for years as it wasn't working . I took the back off a couple of years ago as it wasn't working . I discovered that all that was wrong was a loose screw preventing the main spring from being wound . I still have the watch in my collection .

I came across my Grandfather's Tissot this morning while looking for something else entirely. It definitely doesn't work, which is a shame, because I'd definitely wear it. It's a rectangular chromed case (I think they call these a tank watch?) which while large and very obviously a man's watch, actually sits comfortably on my wrist. It's rather bashed, but it's very attractive nonetheless. The dial's got numbers on rather than batons, and there's a sub-dial for the seconds where the "6" would be.

The Gradus had a bit of a hiccup and stopped working overnight, but started ticking again when I set the time and put it back on. It's keeping time (so far) after gaining a bit over the weekend. I will see to getting it serviced, as it's a very nice and wearable watch. Just what I wanted in a "daily wearer".

And I'm finally beginning to get the knack of that infernal clasp as well... :becool:

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Reliving my 80s yoof . . .

Well, I've had the Gradus for a fortnight, and it's definitely a keeper. :okay: The bracelet is the right size, and I'm beginning to get the hang of that infernal clasp. It does gain a couple of minutes or so over a 24 hour period, but I can live with that. I was never after a chronometer in any case. :laugh: So I'll just be using it and enjoying it for what it is.

The Kelek arrived last week. That's been far less straightforward. Working? Erm, not. Crown wouldn't budge.

My initial instincts were to return it, but did a bit of reading around and thought I'd try a couple of simple things first that weren't going to cost me anything. One was to apply gentle heat and the other was to use the watch as a fidget tool and just jiggle it. Which did the trick. After about an hour of combined heat and jiggling, it started working. It actually ran for 36 hours, keeping excellent time for about 24 of those. Three iterations of this (either wearing it or leaving it on a hot water bottle), it's becoming a LOT easier to wind and only requires minimal jiggling to poke it into life.

It points, I think, to there being nothing fundamentally wrong with the movement - it probably just wants a clean and oil. Judging by the condition, I'd guess it's been someone's "best watch" that has been kept on a dressing table for much of its life.

And I'm beginning to understand why this is so addictive. I blame you guys for not spending my Easter chocolate money on chocolate and keeping it for... Well, ho hum... :whistle:

P.S. I looked it up, and a new Seiko automatic retails for around £360.

Definitely need a picture of your Kelek; I have long desired a Kelek Five Minute Repetition Automatic but they are pricey, if you can find one

Here you go. :smile:

It's probably the simplest watch Kelek made, but it's very easy on the eye (the dark grey sunburst pattern dial is lovely), and very comfy to wear. The strap is the original one too. Fortunately, small ladies' watches are unfashionable, and thus, eminently affordable. This one owes me £12 plus postage. :blush:

IMG_0261_small.jpg

P.S. Sorry about the cat hair in the photo... :blush:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I posted further back about insuring watches and or jewellery out with normal house insurance and wondered if anyone has something similar ? Normal house insurer can’t quote me for ours.

Oooops... I added this to my little watch gang just to scratch the Seiko itch:

IMG_0279_small.jpg

Seiko 2206-3040 (June 1975 according to the serial number on the caseback, so three months younger than me)

Got outbid on several other Seiko automatics of similar vintage, but finally managed to nail this one for £12.50 plus P&P. Started working as soon as I got it out of the packaging this morning and it's been ticking away merrily and keeping time ever since. Needs a bit of a clean as the bracelet is very gunky, but it's a stylish little thing.

As with all Seikos, the day dial comes in two languages - English plus one other. My quartz has the more usual French, but this one has Arabic as the alternative.

What's quite surprising is that it's very solid and weighty for a small ladies' watch.

Oooops... I added this to my little watch gang just to scratch the Seiko itch:

View attachment 645466

Seiko 2206-3040 (June 1975 according to the serial number on the caseback, so three months younger than me)

Got outbid on several other Seiko automatics of similar vintage, but finally managed to nail this one for £12.50 plus P&P. Started working as soon as I got it out of the packaging this morning and it's been ticking away merrily and keeping time ever since. Needs a bit of a clean as the bracelet is very gunky, but it's a stylish little thing.

As with all Seikos, the day dial comes in two languages - English plus one other. My quartz has the more usual French, but this one has Arabic as the alternative.

What's quite surprising is that it's very solid and weighty for a small ladies' watch.
Can't beat a good Seiko. Except Kinetics, unless you wear them a lot. If you don't, they die...
I think if I ever buy another no-battery watch, it will be a Citizen Eco-Drive of sone description.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Can't beat a good Seiko. Except Kinetics, unless you wear them a lot. If you don't, they die...
I think if I ever buy another no-battery watch, it will be a Citizen Eco-Drive of sone description.

So true. The last decent watch I ever wore (a long time ago) was a Kinitecs and, as you said, it died because I didn't get worn a lot. I gave it to my brother who got it fixed and still has it :becool:.

Top Bottom