Show us your winter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So today I've spent some time bedding in the Shimano BR-RS685/805 hydraulic brakes, on its first test flight. Very impressed so far. Brakes are superb, as expected. Very happy with how it rides and handles. 9.7kg with SKS Longboard mudguards, computer, bottle cages, PDW Fenderbot mudguard light etc all fitted - not especially light, but an acceptable weight for a winter road bike with discs that doesn't cost the earth.

The front mudguard also needed some major filing off the top of the fork crown bracket, as well as the bottom of the bracket's slot, to be able to get it high enough for some tyre clearance for the mudguard. Clearance front and rear is not enormous - 28mm tyres are fine with mudguards, but nothing bigger will fit. The RC3 is not an 'adventure' bike suitable for off-roading.

In other respects, much of the frame and build seems good quality and quite well thought out, so overall my initial contentment is good.

In summary, a good choice I reckon (subject to further testing and use), especially if like me you have resolved to get as far through your cycling life without press-fit bottom brackets as possible (and so far I've avoided them completely in my fleet).

View attachment 154642

Those LongBoards make my SKS (whatever model they are) look shrunken, even with the fairly long flaps
That said, the RAW flaps on mine are reflective, mudguard reflector added (since the photos were taken, on day of delivery)
Ribble. CGR. 7.JPG Ribble. CGR. 8.JPG

Plus, a (spare, trailer) reflector on the mudflap itself, but that does mean it 'pendulums' onto the tyre when out of the saddle on a steep hill

Plus, a (spare, trailer) reflector on the mudflap itself, but that does mean it 'pendulums' onto the tyre when out of the saddle on a steep hill
Not one of the triangular reflectors, but I have seen that done, it's just a 'marker' from a top corner

The mud-flap is mounted perpendicular to the 'guard, it's just the weight of the reflector pulling it off-centre

My Gran Fondo sneaking into shot, on the left

24301028_10213260596341730_5083800067697468018_n.jpg

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Those LongBoards make my SKS (whatever model they are) look shrunken, even with the fairly long flaps
That said, the RAW flaps on mine are reflective, mudguard reflector added

Funnily enough, I've taken the Longboards off and replaced them with the standard, squarer-section regular SKS Chromoplastics, fitted with nice long RAW mudflaps like yours.

The reason for this is that the Rapide's designers made an absolutely dumb decision to put the front mudguard eyelets halfway up the fork legs........and on the bloody inside! This ridiculous design choice reduces the bracing angle of the mudguards significantly, to the extent that bottom of the Longboard wobbled like buggery while riding. With the stiff SKS rubber mudflap in place about 20mm off the ground (due to only having the fork crown mounting point on the rear of the crown), it was a recipe for disaster (or at least excessive annoyance).

Now, with the shorter squarer-section mudguard in place (it being naturally a fair bit stiffer and more robust than the flimsier Longboard design), along with the suitably flexible RAW mudflap a customisable height above the ground, the mudguard situation is as optimised as it can be - reduced (but not eliminated) wobbling, and a flap that flexes when contacting anything on the road, or a low kerb for example.

If Rapide were going to get it right, they should have:
  1. Put the front mudguard eyelets on the outside of the fork. Being on the inside not only reduces bracing unacceptably, but also makes taking them off and putting back on a royal pain in the arrse.
  2. Also put them down nearer the dropouts. I've never liked the halfway-up-the-leg position, whatever the 'benefits' of this (seemingly increasing) trend - I prefer to deal with disc caliper stay clearance by using spacers at the dropout, as it increases the bracing angle.
  3. Provided fork crown mudguard mounting points on the front and rear of the crown - the crown is extremely wide, so there is plenty of room
Anyway, the front mudguard foolishness aside, the frame is actually very nice and rides well....and importantly it doesn't have any bleedin' press-fit bottom bracket nonsense. Doesn't look like it's still in production though.......

Last edited:
With the stiff SKS rubber mudflap in place about 20mm off the ground (due to only having the fork crown mounting point on the rear of the crown), it was a recipe for disaster (or at least excessive annoyance).

and a flap that flexes when contacting anything on the road, or a low kerb for example.

I have the SKS 'rigid rubber' flaps on the 'blue Ribble' (superceded, by the CGR, & not touched for months!), they're a bit higher though, on the SKS 'guards compared to your bike
Ribble. Winter. Miscellania. 2.JPG Ribble. 7.JPG

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
With new bike on it's way for Spring the Roubaix is now lined up for winter duties. Just fitted some Crud RoadRacer mk3's along with swapping the Ksyrium Pro's for Aksiums - I wasn't convinced about the guards but was pleasantly surprised when fitting them. I guess the real test will come when I ride it next. Come spring I'll whip the guards off and swap the wheels back again but it should see me through the season of gritted roads in it's current guise.

I've still got the trusty Charge for commuting duties, it wears it's SKS Chromoplastics with pride year round ^_^

mustang1

Guru
Funnily enough, I've STUFF DELETED

The reason for this is that the Rapide's designers made an absolutely dumb decision to put the front mudguard eyelets halfway up the fork legs........and on the bloody inside! This ridiculous design choice reduces the bracing angle of the mudguards significantly, to the extent that bottom of the Longboard wobbled like buggery while riding. though.......

I noticed the new 2018 cannondale synapse has eyelets on the inside of the fork too. The video I saw yesterday, the guy said its so there are no unsightly things protruding around to keep the frame and fork lines clean. It looked good to me but since I've never fitted guards before, I didn't know what the pros and cons were and you've explained it. Thanks!

@Foghat

I forgot

When the CGR was first announced, the images of it showed the front mudguard stays picking up on the pannier mounts
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr/

Later pictures did show 'guards attached at the drop-outs
Ribble, on enquiry did assure me that it was a build error that wasn't noticed until too late
As, this publicity picture (from the page linked above) shows the stays bolted to the pannier mounts, but there are eyelets on the drop-outs

20161118-dsc_0066.jpg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have been hunting for a while for a new winter bike and had a few requirements.

Decent Hydralic brakes, good clearance for tyres and proper mudguards, proper bottom bracket (squeak free), rack mounts and tubeless compatible wheels. Most of all though, I wanted a bargain :smile:

This is what I came up with.

A0EAF1EE-001D-470D-8E8B-F7B0D034F4F0.jpeg

All the boxes are ticked, plus a couple more. I have fitted 42mm guards, so hopefully should be good with 32mm tyres if required. I will be fitting some 28mm tubeless to start with as the supplied a Grand Sports are not exactly confidence creators. It is not the lightest of steeds, but almost the same as my current winter bike at 10kg, with the possibility to shave a little more off. It is a shame that it is black, I wanted the red, but that was the lower spec with uncomfortable hoods. Best of all £500 discount AND £500 back from my health insurance, I love a bargain.

Top Bottom