Show us your winter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
30586718286_a694a017f9_o.jpg

It varies but at the moment this - 1980s MTB reconfigured with 8 speed Shimano hub gear and front dynohub, Busch and Muller lighting, full mudguards, butterfly bars which I tried as an experiment and lurid paint scheme which means I won't lose it at a bike rack and hopefully unlikely to be attractive to thieves. I've been told it's a Muddy Fox Courier but don't know for certain as whoever did the paint scheme done away with all the decals.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Nice, what is it?

Pinnacle Dolomite, still enjoying it, especially the hydro disc brakes and the tubeless 28mm tyres I just fitted.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This week i have been doing commuting test miles on 1966 Dawes Debonair so as of 5 am tomorrow morning it will be my 2018/9 winter road bike

IMG_20181107_081050372.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've put BIG mudguards on my CAADX so it can be my winter bike from now on.

CAADX with SKS Longboards and rack.jpg

I'm very pleased with it apart from a few annoying rattles from the front mudguard. The rear one is really solid and quiet. I have managed to reduce the noise from the front by at least 50% but the remaining noises are playing hard-to-get! I have another couple of ideas to try out, including running the front tyre with a few less PSI in it. (The tyre is pretty firm at the moment so I could probably reduce the pressure by 5 PSI without getting pinch flats or it rolling like a slug.)

Anyway - no more Mister Wet Bum/Dirty Bike, and no more wheel rims destroyed by heavy braking on steep, wet, gritted descents!

I've put BIG mudguards on my CAADX so it can be my winter bike from now on.

View attachment 437756
I'm very pleased with it apart from a few annoying rattles from the front mudguard. The rear one is really solid and quiet. I have managed to reduce the noise from the front by at least 50% but the remaining noises are playing hard-to-get! I have another couple of ideas to try out, including running the front tyre with a few less PSI in it. (The tyre is pretty firm at the moment so I could probably reduce the pressure by 5 PSI without getting pinch flats or it rolling like a slug.)

Anyway - no more Mister Wet Bum/Dirty Bike, and no more wheel rims destroyed by heavy braking on steep, wet, gritted descents!

Mick, a very good Triathlete friend of mine, has just bought a new (lower spec) 'Dale as a new winter bike
I am a but surprised that he didn't go for discs, but I believe he got it for a very good price
https://www.cannondale.com/en/Great...4ef-46f7-bc63-4d2b69d6fa90&parentid=undefined

ColinJ

Mick, a very good Triathlete friend of mine, has just bought a new (lower spec) 'Dale as a new winter bike
I am a but surprised that he didn't go for discs, but I believe he got it for a very good price
https://www.cannondale.com/en/Great Britain/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=625cb7a1-c4ef-46f7-bc63-4d2b69d6fa90&parentid=undefined
I made the mistake of riding my CAAD5 last winter. It may be over 15 years old but it is still a very nice bike, and its wheels cost me over £300. I wore half the front rim away braking in poor conditions! (Which reminds me - I must get the remaining rim thickness measured to see if it is still safe to ride. It feels noticeably concave compared to the rear rim. I don't think that those rims have wear indicators.)

For the road ......….
View attachment 437895

A couple of our Consultants ride PInarello
Nigel comes in on a Dogma 10 (think that's what it is??), mindst you
Another rides a titanium Enigma roadie

I made the mistake of riding my CAAD5 last winter. It may be over 15 years old but it is still a very nice bike, and its wheels cost me over £300. I wore half the front rim away braking in poor conditions! (Which reminds me - I must get the remaining rim thickness measured to see if it is still safe to ride. It feels noticeably concave compared to the rear rim. I don't think that those rims have wear indicators.)
I have a set of Mavic Open 4CD on my 1994 Dyna-Tech
It was my 'best-bike' for many years, then used as a '365' commuter
That's still on the original rims!!

Conversely, that's another good thing about Disc'd bikes, & is often forgotten
So long as you don't make a habit of pot-holing them, & look after the bearings (cartridge rule over loose balls, in this instance), the wheels should last 'forever', as the only real wear surface is the disc itself

ColinJ

I have a set of Mavic Open 4CD on my 1994 Dyna-Tech
It was my 'best-bike' for many years, then used as a '365' commuter
That's still on the original rims!!
It is the steep local descents that do the damage - I could hear the brakes grinding away each time. On the flat, you can be gentler on the brakes but that isn't an option when descending a 20% lane towards a hairpin bend! :laugh:

KneesUp

Guru
I use the same bike as all year - being versatile was part of the criteria in its build. It has a drum brake at the front to save rim wear, and because it works the same regardless of the weather and is virtually maintenance free, 3 x 8 drivetrain with bar ends, mudguards and a rack, and that's kind of it. It's significantly heavier than some bikes, but I ride to get to work, or to see the scenery, or to get fit - and weight doesn't matter for any of them (and arguably helps with the last one). I heard a phrase this week that applies to this situation, although for the sake of the profanity filter I shall re-word it as 'just urinate with the gentleman's hardware you have' which kind of sums up my attitude to n+1, although I accept that in present company that may make me sound like a dangerously un-hinged heretic :smile:

It is the steep local descents that do the damage - I could hear the brakes grinding away each time. On the flat, you can be gentler on the brakes but that isn't an option when descending a 20% lane towards a hairpin bend! :laugh:
Oh I know the hills around there
Wifes aunty used to live up on Sowerby New Road (near Church), & we often cut down to the 'Tod road' Pinfold Lane & Brocks?

Then I had a friend, back in early 90's, who lived up at Wainstalls, so we'd drive up via Luddenden & pass (the lovely Peel House) up Stocks Lane

Top Bottom