Showers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
No one escaped showers when i was at school.The P E teacher made sure of that,if you tried to dodge them you would get a cold shower, and a warm shower was always better

Bullying and humiliation was the order of the day at my school PE lessons too, but mostly administered outside on the football/rugby/cricket pitch, and mostly at the hands of the PE teachers themselves. The showers afterwards were the least of my worries.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Theres nothng quite like being forced into a shower when your at school. Its a errr unique experience. On the plus side, everyone else was in the same boat so to, speak. so we all suffered alike. Kids today don't know they're born. ^_^ or how lucky they are.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Never bothered me when I was in the rugby team but at 14 we got to pick what sport we wanted to do . I had been given a tip by an older friend at school . Everyone would want to be in the indoor sports or rugby team so if you picked the running team you got left alone by the teachers and you got to go out of school .
I told my mates and we all picked the running team .
It was true ! On our first trip out we got loaded up into a mini bus and dropped about five miles from school and was told to run back . so we did .
Next time we all hid bus fare in our socks . Again we where driven about five miles from school and told to run back so we all got on the bus and sat in the park until it was time to sprint back into school just before the home time bell went . This carried on for two years :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I cant really remember having showers really well, though I have a strong memory of the room and a sort of L shaped corridor.

As for kids I don't think it's the having or not having a shower that puts them off, just the getting mucky in the first place and not wanting to look not "perfect" in the first place, or in the case of the youngest a dislike of showers full stop (just told him he needs one which he is strongly denying!)

Dave 123

Legendary Member
How does it take an eminent scientist to come up with that? I would have thought that was glaringly obvious.

Makes me sad that my 16yo niece is one of these. She has all the body parts to be of an athletic appearance but thinks that physical exercise is "sad" and "boring", although having said that she'll do the race for life. Her parents were never active with her.

I've recently been impressed with a girl at the gym, she's been coming with her dad since new year. She attended Matts metcon class on Wednesday which was brutal as usual, it was killing us regulars. She did it at her own pace. I spoke to her afterwards and she said it was like being in the Marines, but said with a smile. She is around 20yo and a real make up addict (like my niece) and looking around its this type of young girl that don't do the active stuff, so hats off to her!

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I was crap at most sports, apart from running, but I don't think I could ever place the blame on showers for that one, as there were no forced showers and the whole place stank of Lynx after PE. They did have a 'do it in your pants' policy when it came to swimming though, but that only served to encourage a skill for forgery in me. As with most things in life, I think, it's not the thing they want you to do that's the problem, but the way the message is enforced in the first place.

They did have a 'do it in your pants' policy when it came to swimming though....

Anyone caught doing THAT in the swimming pool at my school would have been in serious trouble!:eek:^_^;)

PE teachers have a lot to answer for. In my experience they put more people off exercise than they successfully introduced. If you weren't keen on exercise before their so called teaching then you were even less keen after, and even amongst those of us who used to enjoy sports before, a good proportion were turned off after.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
PE teachers have a lot to answer for. In my experience they put more people off exercise than they successfully introduced. If you weren't keen on exercise before their so called teaching then you were even less keen after, and even amongst those of us who used to enjoy sports before, a good proportion were turned off after.
PE teachers are the Nazi Wing of the teaching profession. Too stupid to teach proper subjects so they made up for it by being sadists. From what I remember even the other teachers didn't like them.

Venod

Eh up
Ah school sports & showers

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="
View: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=70165391428

Last edited:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Anyone caught doing THAT in the swimming pool at my school would have been in serious trouble!:eek:^_^;)

Probably grounds for a child abuse case in this day and age, but I can't actually remember anyone having to go through the ordeal, so it may have just been a hollow threat. Also had a manky lost property bin, containing smelly old kit, should anyone dare forget their PE kit though and that one definitely got used xx(

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
PE teachers are the Nazi Wing of the teaching profession. Too stupid to teach proper subjects so they made up for it by being sadists. From what I remember even the other teachers didn't like them.

The PE teachers in one of the schools that I taught in used to sit together in the staffroom and were known collectively as 'The Cabbage Patch'.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
first of all beggers belief that a survey has been done . I was a skinny kid with no pubes at 14 who was forced to play rugby or football at school , then pushed into the showers with the mostly matured pupils to be humiliated
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30796304

No. It doesn't beggar belief. What appears to be a straightforward phenomenon can have a multiplicity of of contributing factors. Childhood and unquestioning subservience to authority by youngsters has all but disappeared in the past forty five years since I first attended high school. Sporting hero worship has been overwhelmed by off field image worship and girls sport makeup and hairstyles that take an eternity to apply and perfect each morning. Why would they want to wreck it in a shower without the benefit of hairdryers and mirrors to repair the damage of a shower? The boys are no better with their pimped up appearance - I wouldn't be surprised if they resorted to moisturiser and foundation. Personal hygiene standards have also plummeted - I see far more grubby kids in school now then ever before and not all of them come from deprived backgrounds. They attempt to mask their poor hygiene with copious amounts of Lynx and equate a quick spray of Lynx with 'freshening up'. Stripping off and exposing their pungent bodies to all and sundry would be the ultimate humiliation.

On top of that there is body image to consider. Showers literally expose kids, warts and all, to peer scrutiny and they are all conscious of the 'perfect body form' and do not want to to come up short in the eyes of their classmates. Kids are far more insecure about their body image than they have ever been and they don't want to expose themselves to judgements of inadequacy, self inflicted or externally sourced. I despair when i see the number of pupils in full school uniform standing on the sidelines watching their more sporting peers running about on the pitches. Indoors things are hardly better, there are quite a few PE activities where kids can participate without breaking into a sweat but the schools can claim that they have discharged their obligations to deliver the proscribed amount of physical activities per week.

PE teachers are on a hiding to nothing. They can not force pupils to participate. Many pupils arrive with notes from parents excusing them from physical activity. The measures taken by the PE monsters of the past - we were shepherded into the showers by the PE teacher using a wet towel as a bullwhip to persuade us to move towards hot water, soap and cleanliness, can't be deployed without ensuing prosecutions.

For the folk who hark back to the golden years of the past, try living in the present and being a PE teacher in charge of thirty reluctant participants while trying to improve their physical health without protest let or hindrance then have a go at go at being critical of the state of affairs in schools.

Top Bottom