Shut your Pi-Hole.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SydZ

Über Member
Having freed up a Raspberry Pi from other duties around my home I was researching something useful for it to do.

I came across Pi-Hole and set this up on it two weeks ago. What it effectively does is effectively take up a role as a general purpose network-wide ad-blocker that protects my whole home network from ads, trackers and suspicious sites without requiring any setup on individual devices. It’s currently blocking over 175,000 domains.

The stats today are surprising with 26.7% of all network queries being blocked with my smart TV accounting for over 25% of those requests. Seems LG tvs like to tell samba.tv what you are watching!

dodgy

Having freed up a Raspberry Pi from other duties around my home I was researching something useful for it to do.

I came across Pi-Hole and set this up on it two weeks ago. What it effectively does is effectively take up a role as a general purpose network-wide ad-blocker that protects my whole home network from ads, trackers and suspicious sites without requiring any setup on individual devices. It’s currently blocking over 175,000 domains.

The stats today are surprising with 26.7% of all network queries being blocked with my smart TV accounting for over 25% of those requests. Seems LG tvs like to tell samba.tv what you are watching!
I've had it setup in the past. Have you run into any problems with getting apps on embedded devices to work (like smart tvs and similar)? Pi-hole stopped them launching and I had to edit the config, it became labourious in the end. I guess pi-hole is now a much more mature tool these days.

OP
OP
S

SydZ

Über Member
Yes, it certainly is much more mature now but still heavily dependent of the blocking lists you add. I've stuck to the 'green' lists and had no problems so far.

400ixl

Used this previously when I stopped running a Smoothwall appliance.

Nowadays I put the ISP router in modem mode and have my own OpenWRT router behind it and can do DNS filtering etc on that. Lots of free filtering services you can use and when you add in VPN tunnelling by default as well it makes for a good solution.

OP
OP
S

SydZ

Über Member
I'm limited in that I need to retain my ISP's router for VOIP but did look into OpenWRT ones as you did.

Given the cost of a suitable router that can take OpenWRT, and having a Raspberry Pi going spare, it seems I am able to do a lot of what OpenWRT can do with that.

OP
OP
S

SydZ

Über Member
Linus can be a bit annoying but has this video (and links in the description to help).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXTnrD_Zs4

Tenkaykev

Guru

That’s interesting. I have a Pi 3 in a drawer, is there a set up guide you would recommend?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’ve just looked on my network and counted (ahem!) quite a few Pi devices of various vintages.

I have two running as VPN servers, one OpenVPN and one as WireGuard. My mobile devices connect through them by default which means I have few worries about using dodgy free WiFi when I’m out and about, and also gives seamless access to my home media store.

The RPi is a fantastic little tool.

OP
OP
S

SydZ

Über Member
I, currently, have 3 on the network.

1 Running as a WireGuard VPN, web server and NAS
1 Running as a TV PVR
1 Running as a Pi-Hole and Plex server.

Still got a Pi 1 to find a new purpose for.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I mess about with vintage wirelesses, and several now have a Pi embedded in them as an internet radio source.

Top Bottom