Siatica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Anybody else suffer with this? i have had trapped nerve in back for ages and its really painful, can't walk far without having to crouch down to relieve pain. Thing is its been far too wet, cold and windy to cycle and i haven't been out on bike for months due to bad back. I am hoping to get back on bike soon as i am quickly gaining weight and wondered if cycling will make it worse or help relieve it.
Thanks in advance xx

Sandra6

Veteran
I suffered quite badly during my last pregnancy, coupled with a displaced pelvis it meant my hip giving out intermittently.
I only have problems occasionally now, and I find exercise keeps it at bay.
Pilate's can really help too but I'd consult your doctor before trying anything new.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yes. Had it bad a few years ago, plus got two herniated discs so have been left with a bit of leg and foot numbness and back pain that can vary from almost unnoticable to reasonably painful. I find that exercise actually helps though.

Yep, been off the bike since a ruptured disk left me with a partially paralysed leg and on morphine, codeine, paracetamol and pregabalin since the 5th November. Literally in the process of buying a recumbent trike so I can cycle again. I can only walk with crutches and only for 25-30 minutes after and operation on the 10th December and still can't sit for more than 5-10 minutes! I go in again on Wednesday for an epidural steroid injection to see if that will help with the healing, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Stephenite

Membå
@s7ephanie You could do a search on cyclechat for 'sciatica'. That's how they spell it round these parts :smile:

I've had a couple of bad bouts of it. For a while i found it was easier to cycle than walk. But, if you can't get out on the bike there are plenty of other things you can do to burn calories and keep fit. I use a couple of tins of tomatoes in each hand and march around the apartment, and often in the same spot, moving my arms in rhythm and changing the angle and direction when they get tired, or because i feel like it. Sounds daft, and probably looks daft, but it works.

Hope you recover soon.

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

thanks all for your replies xx
as soon as it stops snowing i shall go for a little 'poodle' on bike

vickster

Legendary Member
You should see a doctor and then potentially a physiotherapist. Get a confirmed diagnosis and then an exercise programme :smile:

I had a very bad bout due to a slipped disc 20 years ago. Ended up needing surgery.

Oldbloke

Guru
I was given a series of spinal injections then a long course of physiotherapy to treat sciatica, after getting bad enough to stop me walking more than a few steps due to worn out vertebrae.

These gave temporary relief only, I took up yoga which seems to keep most of the pain and discomfort at bay.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I had a mercifully short bout several years ago, not a clue why it came or went, tho I was glad when it did go. I cycled through it as basically nothing I did made it any easier, so I figured what the heck. My GP was happy enough when I asked about cycling, their attitude was very much: try stuff gently at first, if it hurts less do more of it, if it hurts more do less of it and best of luck old fruit.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Yup, I feel your pain. I had a bout of it in September which put me out of work for three weeks. Was prescribed pain killers of various descriptions and strengths, but they didn't even touch the sides when it got really bad first thing in the morning. Standing or walking wasn't an option, but I could ride the bike in a limited way. GP said cycling was a good option, so stick with that, as far as you feel comfortable with.
Googling the NHS pages on sciatica said about six weeks recovery, and yes it was a lot better after that period, but still not 100% right in the mornings. I've lost a considerable amount of strength in the legs, but I'm not sure if that's either a direct result or simply that my mileages dropped off considerably (and the body weight went up considerably).
Good luck - it will take a while.

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

I've had this on and off for months now, this latest bout is in the 3rd week, it never really goes away just gets worse for a while, i am taking tramadol which is supposed to be very strong but dosn't appear to work that well for me. Going to see an english speaking doctor on thursday and may ask about surgery, fingers crossed for a good outcome, at least i'll be able to explain better how bad it is :sad:
ps went out for 30 mins on bike and legs felt very weak but didn't hurt much
trouble is i have to walk the dog in the mornings,

vickster

Legendary Member
Surgery is really only considered of there is (risk of) paralysis. Diagnosis of cause via scan, physio and rest first, the surgery has risks. I've had a numb calf and a 6-8" scar for 20 years. But I might have ended up in a wheelchair so had no option.

Penmere

Nearly three years ago I started to get sciatica like pain and a weakness to such an extent that I could no longer cycle, more due to weakness than pain. After two years and two MRI scans I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis which required an operation. I am now nine weeks post op and at the moment, don't feel much better but the surgeon said it will take time to rebuild the strength in my legs. Haven't been out on the bike yet as I had to wait six weeks then got a chest infection but I am back in the gym and have entered our club 100km Audax in mid April. Did this to set myself a goal

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have sciatica. At least I have the joy of knowing that when the weather improves, so will my sciatica. I can't take NSAIDs so just have to deal with it with heat cream, cool gel and painkillers. Exercise helps too.

I did see a DORN practitioner as my physio was utterly useless and there was zero improvement. 2 sessions with my DORN practitioner and I had well over a year free of it. I cannot recommend a DORN practitioner enough.

Stephenite

Membå
I will look into that DORN thing.

It's been lovely and snowy here for the past few weeks, so that's meant lots of sledging with my four-year-old. Little does he know but the bumps and jarring cause a lot of pain for me. His laughing masks that pain for me, though :smile:

Top Bottom