Sick of bad driving?...get a trailer!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've almost felt like royalty today...

Had a full day of errands with the mule clamped to the back of the bike, delivering a big old swivel chair to the top of Myrtle Road* (one of inner Sheffield's bigger hills), picking up a huge crate of cat food, 2 supermarket runs etc and though my legs have burned at times...I've been treated SO much differently!

Only comments were positive ones from people...coming to pinch points or parked cars on narrow roads I've slowed to let oncoming traffic through (only polite since I'm slower fully laden) and every time been flashed or waved through...even one WVM who I could tell wasn't too keen on letting me out on the approach to parked cars on the main road did yield and follow behind without revving or cutting up. Only one taxi had a "must pass" moment of swerving out, screaming past and slamming on brakes at lights 20 yards ahead but it was much more satisfying just to surprise him by keeping pace (okay this was in traffic and before I was fully laden!) and wave cheerfully as I passed when he got stuck in the outside lane a mile further up behind a right-turner.

It really really has been a noticeable difference in tolerance and patience - in return I have made myself breathless by going as fast as safety and legs would allow so as not to get in people's way wobbling around with a wider load (and passed quite a few unladen bikes too!!)

*(Being as the virtuoso is the only bike that the mule will fit to, I'm thinking replacing the chainset with a very much non-compact '90s Biopace set was not the best idea for uphill load-lugging!)

wafflycat

May I introduce you to 'The Theory of BIG"

http://www.tibsnjoan.co.uk/Big.html

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
May I introduce you to 'The Theory of BIG"

http://www.tibsnjoan.co.uk/Big.html

Haha....think I did a double-whammy then

• Be visible.
    If they don't see you they won't remember to bow down and worship the ground you pedal over. So be seen. BIG things to wear are solid bright colours. Prefereably big and baggy so they flap a bit....

• Be noticed.
    Just another bicyclist? Not me mate. I'm different. You'll notice me. A trailer on the back.

In town I had nipped to Decathlon to buy a new wet weather top....had picked a breathable blue one and then whilst walking round the store, heard the pounding of a torrential downpour on the roof so put it back and plumped for a hi-vis long sleeved affair.

Now..everywhere else I am XL or if they are trying to flatter, occasionaly L, but in Decathlon's weird sizes I can be 2XL (or even 3XL if I don't want a tight fit to make me look like the only gay in the village) even at my largest I have never ever been 3XL ANYWHERE other than Decathlon..so I bought a 2XL and it is definitely too big (but it'll do for colder weather to ear over a coat

So I got the big, baggy, flapping bit down, even if I do look like Big Bird flapping along on a bike with trailer :laugh:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Funnily enough I got overtaken badly by a 320 bus last week, whilst towing miniMikey in the Burley trailer. I was so not impressed. I find I get less room with the trailer than I do with the recumbent alone. Tempted to tie a pitchfork to the rear of the trailer, I bet that'll get the swine to move over more.

Crankarm

Guru
Funnily enough I got overtaken badly by a 320 bus last week, whilst towing miniMikey in the Burley trailer. I was so not impressed. I find I get less room with the trailer than I do with the recumbent alone. Tempted to tie a pitchfork to the rear of the trailer, I bet that'll get the swine to move over more.

Why don't you affix one of those flashing amber lights to the back of your bent, you know the yellow warning lights that tractors, bin lorries and dump trucks have to use? It would be cool and certainly mean that a moton couldn't say they didn't see you.

Ste T.

Guru
I've found it depends on the trailer. Since swapping our now unused kiddi trailer for a revolution cargo trailer (see avatar) Iv'e noticed how much less room and consideration I'm being given. The thought of crushing a couple of little ones must have been worth 6 to 12 inches of extra road space. Now that they can see it's just a weeks shopping or half a bag of cement they're back to shaving my elbows again.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I used my trailer (carry freedom city) last week to transport a dahon folder to work to loan to a colleague. Although my commute is benign enough, I did notice that I was given a few extra inches of room. I also found out that transporting a bike by bike is a bit of a conversation starter.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've found it depends on the trailer. Since swapping our now unused kiddi trailer for a revolution cargo trailer (see avatar) Iv'e noticed how much less room and consideration I'm being given. The thought of crushing a couple of little ones must have been worth 6 to 12 inches of extra road space. Now that they can see it's just a weeks shopping or half a bag of cement they're back to shaving my elbows again.

Best thing would be to keep the kiddie trailer and use it for cargo - drivers won't be able to see what's in it, and will assume a child....

I've often wondered if it would make a difference to have a child seat on the bike, with something like a big teddy or doll in it wearing a kiddie helmet to look like a real child from behind.

I've also often wondered why it is a child's life is apparently deemed so much more valuable than an adult's....

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I definitely get more room when I'm cycling with Jamie B on the back. I just wish he was a bit lighter!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I get more space with Tunk on the back in the kiddie trailer. Just as well really, 'cos if there was one close shave that'd be the end of this particular joy.

SimonC

I've almost felt like royalty today...

Had a full day of errands with the mule clamped to the back of the bike, delivering a big old swivel chair to the top of Myrtle Road* (one of inner Sheffield's bigger hills), picking up a huge crate of cat food, 2 supermarket runs etc and though my legs have burned at times...I've been treated SO much differently!

Only comments were positive ones from people...coming to pinch points or parked cars on narrow roads I've slowed to let oncoming traffic through (only polite since I'm slower fully laden) and every time been flashed or waved through...even one WVM who I could tell wasn't too keen on letting me out on the approach to parked cars on the main road did yield and follow behind without revving or cutting up. Only one taxi had a "must pass" moment of swerving out, screaming past and slamming on brakes at lights 20 yards ahead but it was much more satisfying just to surprise him by keeping pace (okay this was in traffic and before I was fully laden!) and wave cheerfully as I passed when he got stuck in the outside lane a mile further up behind a right-turner.

It really really has been a noticeable difference in tolerance and patience - in return I have made myself breathless by going as fast as safety and legs would allow so as not to get in people's way wobbling around with a wider load (and passed quite a few unladen bikes too!!)

*(Being as the virtuoso is the only bike that the mule will fit to, I'm thinking replacing the chainset with a very much non-compact '90s Biopace set was not the best idea for uphill load-lugging!)

Mucho respect to you Tiger. Those other Sheffielders on here will know why, for those of you less fortunate, its f***ing steep, and not so short either!

Viva La (Peoples) Republica!!

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Mucho respect to you Tiger. Those other Sheffielders on here will know why, for those of you less fortunate, its f***ing steep, and not so short either!

Viva La (Peoples) Republica!!

Indeed, Hats off sir. That's a steep bit of Sheffield.

Top Bottom