Sick of DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
Here's a tip. If you are using end feed or solder ring fittings on an existing system, you often get thwarted by tiny dribbles of water that cool down the fitting as you are heating it up. Jam a plug of bread down the pipe. It will act like blotting paper for a few minutes, giving you time to complete the joint. When you refill the system it will quickly dissolve.

This could be a myth but it sounds good.

Umm, thirty two years in the trade and not something I've done, or will be doing !

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Maybe not multi-seed?:okay:
Oh dear, another pitiful farmers' market gastronome:rolleyes:.
Mothers Pride pal.
Mothers Pride.jpg

drummerbod

Here's a tip. If you are using end feed or solder ring fittings on an existing system, you often get thwarted by tiny dribbles of water that cool down the fitting as you are heating it up. Jam a plug of bread down the pipe. It will act like blotting paper for a few minutes, giving you time to complete the joint. When you refill the system it will quickly dissolve.

Please don't do this on a sealed system!!!

lee1980sim

I'm sick of being at work all the time giving me no free time to do DIY meaning my to do list isn't going down so I'm unsure as to whether I'm sick of DIY or sick of my list not going down

gbb

Legendary Member
Is it an age thing ?..getting fed up of DIY ?
In my 20s and 30s, maybe my 40s, I'd finish work on a friday night (not every one obviously) then decorate a room, which may include stripping walls, decorating, laying carpet etc etc...and I would work till 3 or 4am till it was finished.
Nowadays, its all I can do to think about decorating or DIY. I am 57 and work hard all week plus every 3rd weekend mornings, I must admit to losing interest in DIY...if I wasnt such a tightwad, id pay someone else to do it even though im more than capable.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Oh yeah - plastic push fit all the way. It works out cheaper than copper now and you do the same job in half the time.
May have to if I get some more leaks. Currently hoping the dining room ceiling will dry without staining otherwise that will be another DIY job - and I hate painting ceilings....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm into DDIY. Don't do it yourself, The thought of wandering round those DIY stores or looking through yon Screwfix catalogue sends me :tired:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm into DDIY. Don't do it yourself, The thought of wandering round those DIY stores or looking through yon Screwfix catalogue sends me :tired:
Reminds me of the tv series waiting for god when the dippy son talked about shelves :smooch:

I am not in the same league as others here fitting rads etc , mydiy this week is painting hallway/landing, installing new fence panels + using old fence panel wood to strengthen the shed walls .
All with the "help" of mini ck ( who is sitting here and insisted on the emote ) :dance:

Venod

Eh up
A lifetime of DIY out of necessity, has left me not so enthusiastic these days, needless to say the house is looking a tad shabby, but as the wife is eager to point out, the bikes look fantastic.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here's a tip..... Jam a plug of bread down the pipe. It will act like blotting paper for a few minutes, giving you time to complete the joint. When you refill the system it will quickly dissolve.

....and what happens when that dissolved starch finds its way into the heat exchanger in the boiler?

Like the OP, I'm heartily sick of DIY. We bought a well-built but neglected house 11 years ago and so far have spent £100,000 (yes, a hundred grand!) on modernising, repairing the neglect, refurbishing, redecorating and bringing the electric and water systems up to modern standards. Most of the plumbing, I've done and all the decorating my wife and I have done and there is still plenty to do. When we finally eliminate the last remaining traces of the previous owner, we will neeed to start redecorating as the first rooms we did are looking quite scruffy now. I put a new floor in the downstairs bog 6 months ago and still haven't finished the skirtings as I just can't be bothered. I never want to refit another bathroom or cut, hang and varnish 16 doors, three coats of varnish on each side. Oh and we've only just started on the shambles of a garden....,

Top Bottom