Sick of DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
I am heartedly sick of DIY....

Been installing radiators the last couple of days and what has taken the time is getting floorboards up and cutting access etc.

Oh and putting the fecking things on the wall on my own. Really needed another hand just to hold one end whilst I marked the other.

Now hoping my pipework doesn't leak and "looking forward " to having dash up and down stairs between 3 rooms whilst filling it up.

Tomorrow I am supposed to be building a new cupboard for the TV and satellite boxes etc and the DVDs.

I am fecking sick of it....

U

User6179

I am heartedly sick of DIY....

Been installing radiators the last couple of days and what has taken the time is getting floorboards up and cutting access etc.

Oh and putting the fecking things on the wall on my own. Really needed another hand just to hold one end whilst I marked the other.

Now hoping my pipework doesn't leak and "looking forward " to having dash up and down stairs between 3 rooms whilst filling it up.

Tomorrow I am supposed to be building a new cupboard for the TV and satellite boxes etc and the DVDs.

I am fecking sick of it....

Have you pressure tested yet?

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
when you put the floorboards back, try not to nail through your new pipes ...... twice!
That does sound like the voice of experience. Sorry to hear that.

I haven't mentioned having to reroute some wiring to keep it away from the new heating pipes yet have I?

U

User6179

Nope.... not looking forward to it either
:cry:

I fitted 7 new Rads with speedfit pipes , I only pressure tested for an hour at 2.5 bar as I never had a proper pressure tester but not a leak , I just used the mains with a pressure gauge on one of the rads ,waiting for the heating engineer to fit the new boiler now, got no carpets and half a kitchen with a new kitchen half built waiting to be fitted but cant do nothing till the boilers fitted .

Levo-Lon

Guru
? When you say hanging the rad you need help to hold other end to measure??

You just put the brackets level and measure the hanger distance...

try that next time..and if you used plumbers jointing paste on any compression joints you should be ok..

or have you gone with plastic?.. which never leaks if you remember to lock the conector..lol..

Tim Hall

Rads can be fixed to the wall by one person. Stand the rad on the floor. Draw a line on the wall using the top of the rad as a guide. Look down the back of the rad to see where the mounting straps are. Put a vertical line on the wall where they are. Move the rad out of the way. Check the horizontal line you've marked for level using a spirit level. Hold bracket on wall where vertical and horizontal lines converge, with top of bracket lined up with the horizontal line. Mark wall, drill and fix. Repeat for other bracket. Check for level, adjust as required. Lift rad on. Home for tea and medals.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
? When you say hanging the rad you need help to hold other end to measure??

You just put the brackets level and measure the hanger distance...

try that next time..and if you used plumbers jointing paste on any compression joints you should be ok..

or have you gone with plastic?.. which never leaks if you remember to lock the conector..lol..
Long rads and quite heavy.

Used yorkshire fittings. Been quite a while since I last did any small plumbing - at work last week we were putting in 300mm pipework for a chiller system. Although I say putting it in I was mostly sat in the office and ensuring the guys were putting it in in accordance with the drawings. The life of a manager these days.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Rads can be fixed to the wall by one person. Stand the rad on the floor. Draw a line on the wall using the top of the rad as a guide. Look down the back of the rad to see where the mounting straps are. Put a vertical line on the wall where they are. Move the rad out of the way. Check the horizontal line you've marked for level using a spirit level. Hold bracket on wall where vertical and horizontal lines converge, with top of bracket lined up with the horizontal line. Mark wall, drill and fix. Repeat for other bracket. Check for level, adjust as required. Lift rad on. Home for tea and medals.
If I was to have drawn lines on the walls that had been painted I think my balls would be serving as ear rings. To many imposed restrictions at home. Drives me mad......

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Here's a tip. If you are using end feed or solder ring fittings on an existing system, you often get thwarted by tiny dribbles of water that cool down the fitting as you are heating it up. Jam a plug of bread down the pipe. It will act like blotting paper for a few minutes, giving you time to complete the joint. When you refill the system it will quickly dissolve.

This could be a myth but it sounds good.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Here's a tip. If you are using end feed or solder ring fittings on an existing system, you often get thwarted by tiny dribbles of water that cool down the fitting as you are heating it up. Jam a plug of bread down the pipe. It will act like blotting paper for a few minutes, giving you time to complete the joint. When you refill the system it will quickly dissolve.

This could be a myth but it sounds good.
Maybe not multi-seed?:okay:

Tin Pot

Guru
I wonder if DIY and Road Rage are related phenomena?

I just recently relayed my patio and reprinted it, DIY King!

In six easy steps:

1. Looked at patio
2. Procrastinated and moaned for a year
3. Got quote from local builder
4. Asked him to do it
5. Drank fresh coffee and watched House Season 8 on Netflix
6. Paid him

All by myself!

Top Bottom