Sick of eating flies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gordonrobb

Bit of an old begginer. When I'm out, I tend to be puffing, mouth open, and where I live sometimes that means almost constanty choking on flies.

What do I need to do to stop them going in my mouth. I had a look in my bike shop, buy all I could see was a pollen/pollutin mask.

Any ideas?

roadiewill

keep your mouth shut... more efficient breathing too apparently

OP
OP
G

gordonrobb

roadiewill said:
keep your mouth shut... more efficient breathing too apparently

Wish I could. Just seem to be be puffing a lot of the time. Maybe when my fitness improves, god knows how many I will have eated by then,.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've never seen a 'fly mask' for cyclists and even if there was it would restrict the amount of air going in via your mouth and so make the breating even harder. Just practice blow out and spitting when they go in but that's easier said then done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum.

Try and practice breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth. It is the best way of controlling your breathing, and if you purse your lips when you breath out (like you would to give someone a friendly kiss on the cheek) there won't be much room for flies to get in.

If you are really gasping for air I would also look at how you are cycling. Don't ride in really high gears where you have to strain yourself to cycle - instead use lower gears and try and adopt a "spinning" technique where your legs are essentially moving faster against lower resistance.

You don't say what sort of bike you are riding. If it is a mountain bike it will have thick nobly tyres which will make it harder to ride on a road. You can switch to thinner road tyres which will make life a lot easier - you're local bike shop (LBS) should be able to advise. They can also advise you on fitting lower gears if you think that is an issue.

Finally it is better to build up your fitness gradually, rather than going for longer distances that leave you gasping for breath, feeling discouraged, and with a mouth full of flies. Two or three short rides a week will build up your fitness better than one longer ride.

You can tell how happy a cyclist is by counting the dead flies on his/her teeth!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As someone who always breathes through my mouth whilst riding, don't open it too wide. With a road bike, your head will be angled down a bit, so that helps. I seem to have eaten at least one each ride recently...

Peter

Flies are the least of the problems out there. Two years ago I managed to swallow a bumble bee - was spitting out bits of wings for days.

john59

Guru
gordonrobb said:
Bit of an old begginer. When I'm out, I tend to be puffing, mouth open, and where I live sometimes that means almost constanty choking on flies.

What do I need to do to stop them going in my mouth. I had a look in my bike shop, buy all I could see was a pollen/pollutin mask.

Any ideas?

You could try a 'Buff'. A great piece of kit.

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/

John

Bigtallfatbloke

I try to breathe through my nose these days , but that isnt possible when I am out of breath. I tend to stick my tongue up behind my top row of front teeth and just open my mouth a little bit...that way it's really difficult to inhale a fly as it will hit your teeth and hopefully bounce out first.

Top Bottom