Sick of Speeding Cars!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
I disagree. They're put in places where it could be argued that the speed limit isn't correct anyway, such as the slip road I mentioned. They don't seem to be in places that are accident blackspots, so safety camera is by far a bigger misnomer than cash cow or money spinner.

They get more news because those sort of traffic infringements are easier to 'Police' than the many that are committed by walkers and cyclists, which skews perceptions.

If they were successful at reducing speeding, they'd be self defeating, as they wouldn't raise the revenue required to operate them.

Passed a mobile camera yesterday here. 40 limit dual carriageway, it used to be 50 (and before that 70!!), but was reduced because of a collision record.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.728...4!1sI5L49Q-sg_T6zQI37F50qg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And yet the local council removed this modal filter despite the junction being a serious accident blackspot, and don't enforce the 20 limit.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.727...4!1sPixI0TnLDaa7RsqTGJDJvw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

When queried about this it's basically driven by the number of collisions, which wasn't high enough to justify further intervention...

Without considering the volume of traffic involved, this leads to ridiculous situations where you have main roads with reduced limits, but country lanes with NSL. This can have unexpected traffic management effects:
1652790699203.png

The C12 is preferred to the A352. This is actually very sensible - the A352 has a number of villages along it. The C12 is a high quality road that's mostly NSL.
1652791018554.png

But the bypassing of Dorchester is down a narrow country lane. Google maps is seeing "it's 60 innit".

Dropping speed limits on residential roads is heavily offset if you then stick low speed limits on the non-residential main roads, and put the enforcement there.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom