Sick of Speeding Cars!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
We live on a main road in a 30mph zone but everyone ignores it. So I made a video about it.

The video is rubbish and I'm not sure how reliable those lamp post speed traps are but I counted 33 cars out of 50 in 12 minutes speeding.

Anyone else have the same bother near them? Police aren't very interested in the problem which is a shame.

View: https://youtu.be/nLWUvLuYhRA

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, I'm a firm believe that all vehicles should have GPS speed limiters. Old Bill would love to finger every last one of them, but its a question of resources and political will.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
40mph on my street, just north of staggered crossroads, blind bends and a narrow bridge. Average speed reported as 38.5mph despite it coming to a standstill most rush hours, so it seems all the motorists doing well over 40 nearly cancel that out. Thank fark there's a cycleway so I don't have to ride on it at night.

Service Road outside my house is often used for Police stops, including spotter+catcher blitzes, so I know they're catching some, but there seems an inexhaustible supply of criminal motorists. :sad:

subaqua

What’s the point
Met police have actually said in community meetings the 20mph zone I live in is unenforceable ...

They tried to clarify it was to do with signage . Till I shamed them with google maps streetview...

Drago

Legendary Member
Should make all motoring offences ones for which you lose you licence. None of this points crap. 28 day instant disqual for speeding, double on the second offence etc. No stupid arguments about hardship etc - they should have thought about that before being anti social and endangering those around d them. Everyone in front of a Court is sorry AFTER they've been Court - tough t**, too late, would be my view when I'm Lord Protector.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You need one of these...

image.jpeg

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/23332/mystery-mum-wins-support-for-fake-speed-camera.html

The attendant publicity when the authorities tell you to take it down might be useful in shaming them into taking steps to reduce the problem.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Go back to your plod - someone with more clout, and present them with some facts. Latest I could find for NYrks, but there must be new data http://www.roadcrashindex.org/results/n-yorkshire-south-of-teesside/safety-rank
If you are serious about getting something to change make a noise locally. I live close to the A19 in North Yorkshire, and have to wobble up and down it for a mile or so with cars buzzing me within two feet at seventy mph. I make lots of noise about it to local councillors who try to get help, and we've had success in some places with traffic management, but the whole drift of roads is to make everything safer and swifter for the car user. Our forty mph is ignored all day by bikers, and the whole village goes everywhere by car it seems: no-one walks except to empty the dog.
Culture shift required.
Get a neighbour to donate a hedge and stick a yellow box on top it.
Cut out some plywood children silhouettes and plant them on the verge. Get local school active.

classic33

Leg End Member
Met police have actually said in community meetings the 20mph zone I live in is unenforceable ...

They tried to clarify it was to do with signage . Till I shamed them with google maps streetview...
That may well be true. What size shoe do you take?

Top Bottom