Sick of Speeding Cars!

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Joffey, 12 Mar 2018.

1. Joffey

Joffey Über Member

We live on a main road in a 30mph zone but everyone ignores it. So I made a video about it.

The video is rubbish and I'm not sure how reliable those lamp post speed traps are but I counted 33 cars out of 50 in 12 minutes speeding.

Anyone else have the same bother near them? Police aren't very interested in the problem which is a shame.

View: https://youtu.be/nLWUvLuYhRA

Stephenite likes this.
  2. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

I had a similar one near me, 60 to 70% of vehicles were speeding, I complained about it a few times and they resolved the problem by taking the speed awareness sign down. I have tried to get it reinstated but apparently they loose their impact if there is too many of them.

3. Drago

Drago Guru

Yep, I'm a firm believe that all vehicles should have GPS speed limiters. Old Bill would love to finger every last one of them, but its a question of resources and political will.

Accy cyclist and Milzy like this.
  4. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

40mph on my street, just north of staggered crossroads, blind bends and a narrow bridge. Average speed reported as 38.5mph despite it coming to a standstill most rush hours, so it seems all the motorists doing well over 40 nearly cancel that out. Thank fark there's a cycleway so I don't have to ride on it at night.

Service Road outside my house is often used for Police stops, including spotter+catcher blitzes, so I know they're catching some, but there seems an inexhaustible supply of criminal motorists. :sad:

NorthernDave and Drago like this.
  5. subaqua

subaqua Guru

Met police have actually said in community meetings the 20mph zone I live in is unenforceable ...

They tried to clarify it was to do with signage . Till I shamed them with google maps streetview...

6. Drago

Drago Guru

Should make all motoring offences ones for which you lose you licence. None of this points crap. 28 day instant disqual for speeding, double on the second offence etc. No stupid arguments about hardship etc - they should have thought about that before being anti social and endangering those around d them. Everyone in front of a Court is sorry AFTER they've been Court - tough t**, too late, would be my view when I'm Lord Protector.

7. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

People will continue to speed as long as it's socially acceptable. The situation isnt helped by the rubbish that the likes of Jeremy Clarkson spout.

bigjim, Apollonius, spen666 and 6 others like this.
  8. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

9. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

Round where I live I think most people believe 30mph is either the recommended or the minimum speed that people should drive, rather than the max.

mustang1 and Drago like this.
  10. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

Go back to your plod - someone with more clout, and present them with some facts. Latest I could find for NYrks, but there must be new data http://www.roadcrashindex.org/results/n-yorkshire-south-of-teesside/safety-rank
    If you are serious about getting something to change make a noise locally. I live close to the A19 in North Yorkshire, and have to wobble up and down it for a mile or so with cars buzzing me within two feet at seventy mph. I make lots of noise about it to local councillors who try to get help, and we've had success in some places with traffic management, but the whole drift of roads is to make everything safer and swifter for the car user. Our forty mph is ignored all day by bikers, and the whole village goes everywhere by car it seems: no-one walks except to empty the dog.
    Culture shift required.
    Get a neighbour to donate a hedge and stick a yellow box on top it.
    Cut out some plywood children silhouettes and plant them on the verge. Get local school active.

bigjim and ADarkDraconis like this.
  11. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

That may well be true. What size shoe do you take?

12. subaqua

subaqua Guru

Same as my mental age .. 10.5 or my European mental age 44

13. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Check the sign size with your shoe..

14. I've heard that, and I think it means they don't have equipment calibrated to record speeds under 30.

But if you are caught travelling at 35 in a 30 zone it's a FPN, but if it's a 20mph zone, then it's a summons. I imagine that would have a sobering effect.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices

15. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

It will get worse in places as the signs are hiding in the overgrown shrubbery.

mustang1 and ADarkDraconis like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice