Sick of Speeding Cars!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I sympathise with your problem. But it sounds a bit like people who complain about golf balls landing in their garden when they buy a house next to a golf course.

Didnt you envisage this problem when you moved into the house?

I've got one of the main Manchester bound roads nearby. 90mph+ among the egotank and beemer brigade is quite common.

I work on Burton Road in Barnsley. Never had a camera near it but 60 in a 30 is common too.

No one can afford to enforce limits these days.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I sympathise with your problem. But it sounds a bit like people who complain about golf balls landing in their garden when they buy a house next to a golf course.

Mishitting a golf ball isn't illegal, nor is it part of a national problem in road safety. Speeding occurs on every road so your position would mean that nobody, anywhere, can legitimately complain about it. That's bonkers.

Mishitting a golf ball isn't illegal, nor is it part of a national problem in road safety. Speeding occurs on every road so your position would mean that nobody, anywhere, can legitimately complain about it. That's bonkers.
Yes. If you buy a house next to a pub, you can't complain about conversational noise from the beer garden at 10pm, but you can still complain about people vomiting in your garden.

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser

The road was much busier when we moved but we only moved here as there was a bypass under construction that we thought would reduce traffic on the road. It has, greatly, but there is a real problem with speeding in our area as we have a few roads that lead off from the A1M. Drivers seem to still think they can drive at motorway speeds in residential areas.

It is not just our road, it is many others and residents have been campaigning to the police for months now but all it has resulted in is a speed detection van appearing once in another part of the village.

I don't mind the sound of cars driving past the house (I used to live near a railway line and that was worse) but the lack of action by the police in our area is annoying when the problem is so obvious.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
[QUOTE 5180860, member: 9609"]The police could self fund out of motoring crime then the policing budget could be redirected to the NHS, its a no brainer - @philiphammond[/QUOTE]

Bosh a speed camera up on our road and it would fund itself many times over but we have ZERO speed cameras in North Yorkshire as far as I know.

Drago

Legendary Member
Which then allows the person speeding to get off on appeal.

No, not a defense. A driver is expected to know from the nature and status of the road and the surrounding environment what the speed limit is. The only time it works as a defence is where the speed limit is contrary to the regular convention.

For example, an out of town dual carriageway defaults to 70, and as a driver its your responsibility to know that. The absent or obscured signage defence won't wash. However, on the same hypothetical dual carriageway it might drop to 40 near a busy junction or roundabout. This is contrary to the national convention, and you would have a defence there if the signs were missing. That's the exception though, not the rule.

Bosh a speed camera up on our road and it would fund itself many times over but we have ZERO speed cameras in North Yorkshire as far as I know.

Not exactly. The government rules on how the dibble can spend money raised in this manner are very odd. They must be spent on speed enforcement. So workshops, training, speed guns, police cars expressely for road safety teams, etc are all on the menu. However, it can not be spent on police salaries, so is of no use whatsoever in getting officers to actually use this kit and do the deed, or on civilian staff to process the burgeoning level of admin that the increased enforcement activity brings. The bottom line remains falling staffing levels, and the income can not legally be used to address that.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
People will continue to speed as long as it's socially acceptable. The situation isnt helped by the rubbish that the likes of Jeremy Clarkson spout.
Here here! I also think tools like Clarkson and that pillock "the Hamster" encourage middle aged boy racers to break the law,like it's just a bit of fun. Clarkson lives in a converted lighthouse(or did when i last heard). He fought to keep people well away from his property. How would he like speeding cars passing his home,doing 50/60 mph?!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's the same here. Like others,i wish i could film it to show you. I live about 18 feet from a busy A(or is it B?)road. Anyway,it's one of 3 main roads leading into and out of this town. I'd say at least 60% are doing over the 30mph limit. At night,when the road is quieter,it's even worse. Boy racers doing those what i call dragster sprints,where they accelerate up to about 60 mph for a few seconds,then drop to about 40 as they approach a humpback hill, is the norm. And don't even think about stepping onto the crossing which is just outside my flat. The last time i did was just before Christmas. There i was with a high viz jacket on,waiting for the traffic to slow down so i could cross the road. The car on my right stopped so i set off,making eye contact with the driver approaching on my left. He was slowing down,but as i got halfway across he accelerated and drove over the crossing,missing me by about 2 feet. Scumbag!! I looked at him. He wasn't even a boy racer,more of a pensioner. Senile,ignorant or just hates stopping for pedestrians,i don't know,but i haven't tried to use that crossing since and i won't be doing again!

Edit... I even gave the scumbag a you are a self-gratification artist sign,hoping he'd stop for a confrontation so i could tell him what i thought of his driving,but he didn't. I think the old git was totally unaware of his surroundings.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That is not what I meant and I think you know that. If you have a house next to a main road it will be no surprise to see speeding cars. If that bothers you maybe it would be best to buy a house in a quiet street. You can of course complain about the cars. Its your right. But you wont stop it happening totally.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That is not what I meant and I think you know that.

Well it was a poor analogy, as I'm not the only person who took that from what you wrote.
I wouldn't knowingly twist your meaning if another was intended.

If you have a house next to a main road it will be no surprise to see speeding cars. If that bothers you maybe it would be best to buy a house in a quiet street.

Frankly, that's even more bonkers than your previous post!
It doesn't (ok, maybe shouldn't) make any difference where someone lives, whether it's near a main road or a quiet side street. Not everyone gets to choose.

You can of course complain about the cars. Its your right. But you wont stop it happening totally.

Nobody has said, or expected, that it would be stopped completely.

Top Bottom