Sick of Speeding Cars!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tizme

Veteran
The point is, surely, that "everyone" speeds and if you are like me (nicknamed Captain Slow by the lads at work) and keep to the limits you are, like PeteXXX said, tailgated in an attempt to intimidate me into driving faster.

I was once at a Xmas social where several of those present had recently been caught speeding (thanks to a recent and very rare, purge). All were complaining how unfair it was, one lady was incensed that her husband, "a very good driver," had been caught doing 45mph, they all agreed with her, until someone else pointed out that he had been in a 30mph limit!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What aggravates me is that I drive within the speed limit, and on it if conditions suite, in both car and 44 tonne artic, and am usually harassed by impatient tw*ts driving a couple of inches from my boot in the hope, I assume, to push me into driving faster.
It doesn’t work.
Having spent more time cycling than driving up to this year,i can now say that the actions of pillocks intimidating me,while i'm cycling,to "get out my effin way",don't faze me, now i drive more than cycle. In fact i quite enjoy it. They'll come up so close that i can't see their headlights in my rear view mirror,which according to my driving instructor 40 years ago means they're driving far too close to you. When this happens i drop my speed even more. What can they do? Absolutely sweet FA,apart from ram you. They won't do that unless they're totally demented,as they love their precious cars:wub: too much to harm them.
On a bike i feared these scumbags. In a car i quite like winding them up,and helping to keep speeds down of course!:angel:

Last edited:
That is not what I meant and I think you know that.
Well @glasgowcyclist may well "know that", but I can't understand the subtlety here. Complaining about people behaving in a legal way that is to be expected in a location is somehow the same as complaining about people breaking the law? So the millions of people who have** to live on A and B roads have no right to even complain about law breakers.

Sorry, you've lost me.

**yeah, "have". Maybe the OP could have chosen a different address, but the UK does not have enough housing stock. Someone has to live on every major (non-motorway) route in this country.

classic33

Leg End Member
That is not what I meant and I think you know that. If you have a house next to a main road it will be no surprise to see speeding cars. If that bothers you maybe it would be best to buy a house in a quiet street. You can of course complain about the cars. Its your right. But you wont stop it happening totally.
Live on a street open to traffic from one end only. Still get cars speeding in the 75 yard length. Noisy ones as well.

Tim Hall

No, never. Nearly three decades of scraping pillocks off the tarmac put me off speeding. On top of that, points on my licence meant disciplinary trouble at work. Decades of enforced good behaviour, its now utterly inraimed.
Likewise. Although (thankfully) I've not had a job involving scraping pillocks off the tarmac.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Live on a street open to traffic from one end only. Still get cars speeding in the 75 yard length. Noisy ones as well.
Yes, I've done similar. I've also lived on a road where it was physically impossible to break the speed limit due to blind hairpins with rocks and stone walls on the outsides of the bends, but that didn't seem to stop them trying and meant more work for @Drago's former colleagues scraping pillocks off the rocks. But I guess I shouldn't complain because I chose to live on a street where people drive into rockfaces. :crazy:

Tizme

Veteran
I fear that the majority (where I said "everyone") see no harm in exceeding the speed limit, mainly because they are cocooned in a lump of metal with every conceivable safety device for their safety and the idea that they could maim or kill someone with this lump of metal does not enter into their thought process.

It would be interesting to know how many cyclists, when driving, keep to the speed limits and do actually consider the safety of other road users. I certainly think that the number would be far greater than average.

Driving home from Bristol on Saturday I was behind a car with a sticker on the back, it said: "Life sucks, I'd like to driver faster but I have a black box fitted to the car..." I stopped reading after that!

davidphilips

Veteran
Have to say when on my own i like to try and speed (on a bike) but as for driving never and the never should really have a capital N and as for drivers tailgating me, some in the dark with there lights on full, well this again happened last night when i was driving along a twisty country road (40mph speed limit) well my view is if the driver would do that to another car what would they behave like if a cyclist was in front of them?
Know its wrong but i put on my fog lights and slowed to 30mph and just watch the road in front of me sod them. If some nit made me speed and either i was stopped for speeding or i had an accident would the driver behind me take the blame.

crazyjoe101

What really annoys me is when cycling close to, at, or over the speed limit; More often than not the car following you will overtake regardless. Similarly, cycling on a residential street with speed bumps where the limit is 20, cycling at 15-18mph you will get drivers who smash on the accelerator to nip past you, draw alongside and then realise that they can't hit the speed bump at 25/30mph and then slam on the brakes and wonder why there is a cyclists blocking their spot on the road next to them...

It would be interesting to know how many cyclists, when driving, keep to the speed limits and do actually consider the safety of other road users. I certainly think that the number would be far greater than average.
I think I'd tend to agree with that, I don't drive myself but have caught many a lift to/from events from other cyclists and none of them were prone to speeding unlike friends and family who do not cycle - this is anecdotal of course.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I fear that the majority (where I said "everyone") see no harm in exceeding the speed limit, mainly because they are cocooned in a lump of metal with every conceivable safety device for their safety and the idea that they could maim or kill someone with this lump of metal does not enter into their thought process.

Driving home from Bristol on Saturday I was behind a car with a sticker on the back, it said: "Life sucks, I'd like to driver faster but I have a black box fitted to the car..." I stopped reading after that!

You got good eyesight. I seldom drive close enough to read a reg number. Some of the worst car journeys I have had have been with cyclists driving the car.

keithmac

Guru
Yep, I'm a firm believe that all vehicles should have GPS speed limiters. Old Bill would love to finger every last one of them, but its a question of resources and political will.

They do this in Japan, GTR-35's etc are only delimited on designated race circuits, makes perfect sense really.

classic33

Leg End Member
What really annoys me is when cycling close to, at, or over the speed limit; More often than not the car following you will overtake regardless. Similarly, cycling on a residential street with speed bumps where the limit is 20, cycling at 15-18mph you will get drivers who smash on the accelerator to nip past you, draw alongside and then realise that they can't hit the speed bump at 25/30mph and then slam on the brakes and wonder why there is a cyclists blocking their spot on the road next to them...
Or when they realise there's something bigger coming the other way and they can't pass.

screenman

Legendary Member
In 2013 2.2 million cars were sold and 3.3 million bikes, I would imagine a lot of cars are driven by cyclist.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I'm always confused why speed cameras are hi-viz? I'd disguise them all, so drivers had no idea where they were. Can you imagine how much money that would make or how it would slow the maniacs down.

Top Bottom