side effects of medecine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I noticed 'Penile necrosis' in the list of potential side effects of Warfarin, it made me sit up and take notice! :eek:

'Bleeding to death like a poisoned rat' is not one that I fancy either ... :laugh:

What got me was the fact that the only risk mentioned to me was bleeding. I queried that once I had read the leaflet that came with the drugs and was told that patients are not told because 'it is rare and would only worry them'! Up to one in a few thousand is not that rare when 1-2% of the adult population of the developed world are put on the drug! Especially when the problem can occur very quickly so patients should be checking for signs of it to catch it in time.

It is one reason why patients are 'bridged' with Heparin until a Warfarin regime is established. Of course, they don't mention that necrosis is possible with Heparin too. Or tell vegetarians/vegans/those with certain religious beliefs that they are being injected with 'essence of pig' either ...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The listed possible side effects on some stuff I was taking were so numerous as to be meaningless.

classic33

Leg End Member
Loss of sleep pattern/less sleep. Sounds about right for me.

Just refused to take one lot as the manufacturer has finally been made to acknowledge & warn you that it can cause damage to the eyesight & also turn your eyes blue along with your skin. Loss of sight not considered serious though. Serious enough to have to warn you about it, but not that serious.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't take any notice, Ok you need to be aware of what might happen but these things are pretty rare and can make you ill just worrying.
I think a simple instruction to do quick check for any areas of skin blackening, and to get emergency treatment if any are found, should not really be a big issue.

Putting it bluntly - if I had been one of the unlucky ones whose member had rotted and fallen off, I would be somewhat peeved to know that a quick check twice a day for 10 days might have saved it!

classic33

Leg End Member
buy not taking the medicine can make you more ill... In most cases
Would you take something that might! help, whilst at the same time has a strong chance of sending you blind. Leaving you to deal/become accustomed to a new problem?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There's a website devoted to the side effects of drugs but I can't find the link. It helps if you have a sense of humour if you visit it. One of the SFX of one of the drugs I'm on is...
......."Sudden death".

It quite cheered me up that I was still alive.:thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
most antidepressants have 'suicidal thoughts' as a side effect listed - which seems odd as, chances are, you're having them anyay and increasing the likelihood isn't such a great idea.

Quite a lot of drugs seem to have as possible side effects, the thing they are meant to cure.

I'm fortunate not to need much in the way of medication, just the odd painkiller, but I don't often read the side effects. I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect, and it can work both ways!

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a website devoted to the side effects of drugs but I can't find the link. It helps if you have a sense of humour if you visit it. One of the SFX of one of the drugs I'm on is...
......."Sudden death".

It quite cheered me up that I was still alive.:thumbsup:
This one?
http://www.drugs.com/

Quite a lot of drugs seem to have as possible side effects, the thing they are meant to cure.
I'm fortunate not to need much in the way of medication, just the odd painkiller, but I don't often read the side effects. I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect, and it can work both ways!
Paracetamol!!
"unusual tiredness or weakness" & "pain in the lower back and/or side (severe and/or sharp)"

Last edited:
Top Bottom