Sidewalk Cyclists Harassed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharleyFarley

It seems that Los Angeles police have little better to do than to harass cyclists on the sidewalk. Riding in traffic is dangerous. Thousands of stops and nothing added to public safety, makes it seem the cops have nothing better to do.

Here in Florida, we are allowed to ride on the sidewalks because state officials know how dangerous it is for cyclists to be riding in traffic.

How do the police treat cyclists in your country or state?

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-county-sheriff-bike-stops-analysis/

Alex321

Veteran
Well here in the UK (as in many places) it is illegal to ride on the pavement (sidewalk to you) unless it is designated as being shared use, with appropriate signs.

But it is fairly rare for the police to take any action over it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I think it's more a case of, if you're not causing a nuisance, being reckless or dangerous, they recognise that pavement cycling isn't a problem.
I seem to remember a big fuss a few years ago on this matter, and the UK home secretary having to issue guidance to police not to enforce the law over-zealously against considerate cyclists. Did i imagine that?

Debade

Über Member
For what it is worth, all the data shows streets are safer than sidewalks. And they are even safer when doing things like taking the lane to be more visible.
If you insist on sidewalk riding, ride with traffic as one study showed you’ll be less prone to a right cross collision in the intersection. And take extra precautions with the left hook collision as well. I assume you have a bell to alert peds.

As for stopping people on sidewalks, I would like to see police direct a cyclist to online training for safe biking techniques. The League of American bicyclists is my preferred choice. Likely another org over the pond offers something similar.

Gillstay

Über Member
I remember the New York bus drivers going on strike as they were not being allowed to run red lights because one of them had run a child down.

Quite incredible in comparison to Europe. A Swiss person would have trouble just comprehending that action.

I seem to remember a big fuss a few years ago on this matter, and the UK home secretary having to issue guidance to police not to enforce the law over-zealously against considerate cyclists. Did i imagine that?
I think there was something similar - the association of Chief Police Officers issued a statement saying that they would not prosecute anyone riding a bike on the pavement (sidewalk) if they were doing do for safety reasons
This obviously had riders (see what I did there!!) that cyclists need to give way at all times to walkers and ride at a reasonable speed for the circumstances - and all that
I used to have a link to it but I have lost it

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

Although Florida allows sidewalk cycling, we are mostly responsible for any collisions with a pedestrian. A local lawyer who is a keen cyclist himself, recently brought up the issue of electric bikes on sidewalks. There is no law against it but if a rider is tempted to hit 25 mph on it, it could lead to a serious crash. Most of the sidewalks in this county are not fit for fast riding, though, because they are old and not well-maintained; okay for pedestrians, though, but very few people walk on them.

I was riding on a bike lane a couple of years ago. I use my bike mirror but I can't see everything in dense traffic. Suddenly a huge mirror on a pickup truck whistled past my ear, just inches from me. A second later, that truck took up the whole bike lane, then he suddenly realized where he was and swerved back on the proper driving lane; had he done that a second earlier, I would have been hit by his truck. Even the bike lanes are dangerous. We have flashing signs above the road, warning drivers to put the phone down; too many drivers are looking at phones, which is why the sidewalks are safer. I've ridden them for five years and had no problems.

One thing I have to watch for is when I'm riding the sidewalk against the flow of traffic. A driver pulling out from a side road is looking to his left for oncoming traffic, and won't be looking to his right to see a bike coming. There was a fatality a couple of years ago when a driver suddenly hit the gas and pulled out as a cyclist was about to pass. I, myself, almost hit a cyclist in that manner when I drove my van out of a side road.

It's time that Los Angeles (and other places) look into this matter of sidewalk riding. Around here, there are numerous memorial signs where cyclists were killed. Roads with two or three lanes in each direction is no place for a bike. And speed limit signs don't mean anything to drivers.

Top Bottom