Sidewall split

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Hey guys, just noticed a split in my rear tyres sidewall.
Tyres are Continental grand sport race just for info. The split is tiny, a few mm and not bulging or anything. Just been for a 10 mile ride and doesn't seem to have gotten any worse.
Just wondering if this is something that could be repaired, ignored or needing replacement, not something I've ever experienced before.
All advice welcomed 🙂

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Patch or a boot on the inside of it and a dab of superglue on the outside might work. What you need to prevent is the inner tube popping out and having a rapid deflationary event.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yep tubed.
Cycling way of the roses Monday and not gonna risk it being stuck middle of nowhere. New tyre time.
Thanks guys
God yes wont risk it on a big ride like that, but repairs as advised would be Ok if just tootling around from home.

Enjoy the WotR

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I probably wouldn't use superglue, it dries hard. A better option would be a rubber based adhesive, such as a contact adhesive, which would dry flexible.
There is such a thing as flexible super glue. I don't know if it's any good and I've never used it. I've just seen it advertised. Just sayin'.

But back to the tyre ... I'd replace it. But if the replacement was delayed for some reason I wouldn't worry about riding it for a bit with an adhesive boot or patch on the inside.

Morecambe to Bridlington (Wancashire to Yorkshire - hence Roses), an alternative to C2C - see also Walney to Whitby/Wearside
Thanks. Never knew that.
We have a C2C - supposedly the official Sustrans one - starting right outside our door. I ride some of it every day.
How many C2Cs are there? I supported a guy on Whitehaven to Sunderland. I've heard of Barrow to Scarborough. Seems like every town on NW coast has a ride to one of several towns on NE coast.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Yeah we were looking at trans pennine as we live in Hull but way of the roses came out a better ride and do able on road bikes rather than gravel tyres like.
Doing it over 3 days, the big climbs have me scared haha. Excuse for a lads holiday more than anything else

Top Bottom