Sigma BC 1200 wireless cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I have one of these and I've had nothing but problems from it since getting it. When it does work, then it'll be fine on the way to work, but when it is time for the commute home, it stops working - it gives no readings. I've tried resetting it, leaving it alone, changing the battery - no joy.
Anyone else got one of these? Am I doing something wrong?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Lots of people seem to have trouble with wireless computers, which is why I like to use a Cateye Astrale 8 wired computer on my bikes. On the 'bent I have no choice, because wired computers are blocked out big time due to the weird geometry.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I've got a 1606L which I use on two bikes with no problems whatsoever. I will say that the spacing between the magnet and transmitter is sensitive and shoud be as close as is safe. I mount the transmitters pointing forwards so that in the event it swings into the spokes it forms a trailing edge.

Where have you mounted the receiver?

ash68

yeh, Ive had a wireless sigma for about a year. No real probs yet, but I've had to change the battery in the wheel transponder once. Can't remember my model of 'puter but if I press a button on the transponder a green light comes on if the battery is ok, same with the reciever. Don't know if yours is the same but I have to press the computer button to activate the computer to start and record readings as I start a ride, otherwise it won't register any readings. Sorry if I'm trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but thought I'd try and help anyway.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
I've got a 1606L which I use on two bikes with no problems whatsoever. I will say that the spacing between the magnet and transmitter is sensitive and shoud be as close as is safe. I mount the transmitters pointing forwards so that in the event it swings into the spokes it forms a trailing edge.

Where have you mounted the receiver?

I've put the magnet and transmitter as close as I can without it catching. The part on the handlebars is kind of in the middle.

Can't remember my model of 'puter but if I press a button on the transponder a green light comes on if the battery is ok, same with the reciever. Don't know if yours is the same but I have to press the computer button to activate the computer to start and record readings as I start a ride, otherwise it won't register any readings.

Yes, I have this on mine too. I have tried pressing these each time but not worked. I've tried pressing the computer button too.

ash68

agree, if the green light doesn't come on try changing the battery on that unit. Think there is three batteries isn't there? 1 for the wheel transponder, 1 for the receiver and 1 for the computer head.MY computer played up like yours, ok in the morning, tempramental at night time for some reason. think it was the receiver battery in the end. Worth a try?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
ash68 said:
agree, if the green light doesn't come on try changing the battery on that unit. Think there is three batteries isn't there? 1 for the wheel transponder, 1 for the receiver and 1 for the computer head.MY computer played up like yours, ok in the morning, tempramental at night time for some reason. think it was the receiver battery in the end. Worth a try?

The green lights come on fine, and I've changed the battery in the wheel transponder as the light was faint. Might change the battery in the reciever to see if that makes a difference, but the green light for that seems fine. Next time I'm gonna go wired!

ash68

yeh, fair point. Only other thing which comes to mind is corrosion or dampness on the contacts for the receiver or computer head. Must admit it's bloody frustrating when the compuer doesn't work right. I hate it when one goes off midride especially if i'm keeping a check of my mileage, average speed etc.:smile: Bloody technology:evil:

Top Bottom