Signalling

How often do You Signal ?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How often do you signal ?

I signal left often but not so often right, I'd rather have my hands on the bar and rely on road positioning.

On Saturday afternoon approaching a double Mini (Inverkeithing) the lane flares in two (a left and a right lane). I done my usual glanced round and there was a car in the distance. A couple of seconds later I glanced round again the car was still there but was dropping back, so I did my manouvre. Gradually shifting to the middle of inside lane before a final glance and moving to the outside lane to turn right. The roundabout was busy so I had to giveway and few seconds later the car pulls up to turn left but stops also and a little old lady winds her window down.

Her: Excuse me.......
Me: Sorry ?
Her: Do you not signal right ? I could have been into the back of you.
Me: Sorry, I looked 3 times and thought you were a better driver than that.

That finished the conversation but it got me thinking, even though I was wearing a high vis with two rear lights I don't signal right often unless I need to. How often do you signal?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've put in a couple of extra options for clarity, as none of the original ones fitted how i signal. hope you don't mind ;)

What about 'both always'?
Here, of course, the traffic is on the other side of the road.
I always look behind and around me before planning a manouvre.
If there is no traffic, ped., other cyclist etc. I don't signal (it's like saying 'oh, excuse me, xx(, I just farted!' if no one's around to hear/smell it! ;)).
Common sense prevails: if you're going to make a turn, indicate IF it affects someone else.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Both always. Cyclists need to show other road users when we are going to turn/manuover. They may not always notice us, but we need to show them where we are going.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I rarely signal when turning left because I've found that if a car behind you is also going left it will tend to overtake you in the bend and cut you up.

Jaded

Both always. It is too easy to get into the habit of not signalling.

When turning left I indicate and move out a bit to the right. That stops the car behind from overtaking. Also gives me more room to manoeuvre the left turn.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Both always is the wrong answer according to Cycle Training UK and the cycle instructor course I'm on at the moment. They suggest to signal only when there are other road users around. Not just behind you, and not just vehicles of course. The rest of the time, yes, you should signal. The theory goes that you must observe properly whether to signal or not, because this gets you into the habit of looking properly to be sure whether there is someone else around. I'm sold on the idea.

I also signal left late sometimes, if there's a risk of a left hook or an oncoming right turner leaping in front of me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
BentMikey said:
Both always is the wrong answer according to Cycle Training UK and the cycle instructor course I'm on at the moment. They suggest to signal only when there are other road users around. Not just behind you, and not just vehicles of course. The rest of the time, yes, you should signal. The theory goes that you must observe properly whether to signal or not, because this gets you into the habit of looking properly to be sure whether there is someone else around. I'm sold on the idea.

I also signal left late sometimes, if there's a risk of a left hook or an oncoming right turner leaping in front of me.

PHEW!

I go with this too, signal when necessary.
Agree on Left signalling too and mostly onl do so when there is somebody standing by the left exit that might cross or if I know there is another bike on my wheel.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Only if i need to. If there are lanes i go into primary, then go into the lane i want.
If i am turning right, and theres a bit in the middle of the road for turning right i signal right then go when its clear, if cars are far enough away i dont bother.
I only signal left if its a busy road, or there is someone coming out of the road, and its clear for them to come out if i wasnt there. Mainly because its good they just jumped out.
I also signal if there is someone on the pavement going to cross the road, so they dont just keep going.
So both always if i need to. But Both often is mainly it.

Top Bottom