1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigur Ross...where do I start?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Fab Foodie, 30 Jan 2008.

1. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

The question is in the title really, I caught the end of a documentary with them and thought they were my kinda thing...but they have so many albums and it seems they're probably all different. So where is the starting point? What's good on youtube from them?

2. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

I bought the first album, and was quite into it, but the novelty soon wore off. Would still listen to about 1 song on it.

3. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

4. simonali

simonali Über Member

You'd be wrong in thinking that, they all sound the same!

5. ...I thought this was a thread about Liberty Sigur Ross - that famous roll and roll band :sad::wacko::biggrin:

6. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

7. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

Start with "Takk" then the "untitled" album. And go from there basically.

Takk has tracks you would of heard before, and as Arbitrary has said try the Cocteau Twins as well, "Heaven or Las Vegas" is probably their most commercial sounding album, though I do have a soft spot for "Bluebell Knoll"

8. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

This is the one I liked most off that (2nd) album... think I've heard it recently in adverts as well.

9. OP
    OP
    Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Thanks guys...some of those tracks have a certain familiarity...and very haunting, I'll check-out more of their stuff before leaping int purchases!

never listened to the Cocteau Twins...never too late I guess.

10. Noodley

Noodley Guest

It's flavour of the month advert/tv background music.

11. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

I remember a customer visiting us and we got talking and remarked her accent was a mixture of what sounded like Italian and Scandinavian. She said her mother was Icelandic and her father was Italian. so I went out the back and grabbed "Ágætis byrjun" and asked her to translate the track listings for me. I can't remember what she said they were all now but she laughed at one and said another was something like "wide eyed elf".

12. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Never heard of them. Are they for young people?

13. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

Definitely for everyone Dave! And it's Sigur Ros if you are going to google.

14. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I wasn't going to bother, to be honest.

15. My experience of Sigur Ross leads me to conclude that the thread title should be "Sigur Ross - when does he stop?" It's ok in small doses I suppose, but I don't think there's any need to own more than one album.