Sigur Ross...where do I start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hambones

I've often wondered when a Sigur Ros thread would crop up. They are quite an astute band and are actually very much against their music being used to promote products. - I think this is made clear on the documentary.

Glosoli (track 2 from Takk...) is my favourite piece of music, followed closely by Njosnavelin (Untitled 4 from () ). I certainly don't like all of their music because as has been said alot of it is samey - but the ones I like have struck a chord and are simply breathtaking.

I would have put Glosoli on the 'Music that knocks you between the eyes' thread but then I saw it was full of dirge and it wouldn't be appropriate :sad::biggrin:

trj977

Über Member
Caught these on the BBC when they did the pop proms thingy. The music and video they produced in Iceland was to my mind stunning.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
They are wonderful. Ignore Arbitary and Noodley - since when does being used for adverts reduce the quality of the original? It might make you tired of hearing it, but the reasons why advertisers or program-makers use music has to do with the effects that the music creates - the fact that a Penguin Cafe Orchestra track has been used by MFI doen't make PCO crap, same as the fact that the Velvet Underground were used in some car advert.

Sigur Ros often sing in their own made-up language (which is why it doesn't even make sense to Icelanders). I find them uplifting, powerful and somewhat otherworldly without being twee or boring.

Get Agaetis Byrjun or Takk first...

Dave5N said:
I wasn't going to bother, to be honest.
You're not missing much. Post Kid A Radiohead do Bjork (wrap your imagination round that one!).
I nearly saw them when they supported Radiohead at South Park in Oxford but I got bored during Humphrey Lyttelton's set (man) and wandered back into town to find a book and pub to read it in.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Chuffy said:
You're not missing much. Post Kid A Radiohead do Bjork (wrap your imagination round that one!).
I nearly saw them when they supported Radiohead at South Park in Oxford but I got bored during Humphrey Lyttelton's set (man) and wandered back into town to find a book and pub to read it in.

Yeah, but you like Showaddywaddy...

Flying_Monkey said:
Yeah, but you like Showaddywaddy...
Who couldn't retain a vestigial fondness for the mighty Wadd? ;)

Top Bottom