Silly BBC appeal to cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

What's the worst place to cycle? How could things be improved? Do you know of any ludicrous cycle lanes?
Or, maybe you hate cyclists and think they just make things worse for all road users.
If you've got stories or pictures of cyclists behaving badly we want to hear from you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2007/09/13/cycling_feature.shtml
Sensible reply, from the Guardian Cycling Thread:

My two cent's worth . . . Later I may also send a couple of photos of people parked in cycle lanes.
I can’t believe how negatively you’ve couched the introduction to this.
So cyclists only encounter problems and you want to hear stories about cyclists behaving badly? Are you not interested in the possibility that many of us find our daily commute by bicycle the highlight of the day? It’s quicker, healthier and far less frustrating than using public transport.
I do hope this is not yet another attempt to garner sensational copy by tapping into the tensions that do unfortunately exist between motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.
You have the opportunity to do something positive about the situation – despite this rather negative start.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
When I heard it on the news an hour ago, they said "behaving well or badly".

My response:

May I ask why you are only inviting stories and pictures of CYCLISTS behaving badly? I could send you or tell you umpteen stories and pictures of aggressive, inattentive, idiotic and just plain bad motorists. Yesterday my friend and I on our bikes were nearly killed by a 40-foot truck overtaking when there was no space. How about inviting a few of those stories?

This style of blatantly biased and sloppy reporting is beneath you.

Cycling is on the increase in London as a healthy response to congestion, lifestyle issues, public transport meltdown and security issues. Why don’t you open a proper debate about cycling, rather than appeals for material that pander to ignorant prejudices?

redfox

Just got this reply from Duncan Williamson - Assistant Editor

Thanks for taking time to email us.

Having re read the copy I understand why you feel this way. The intention was to elicit pasionately help responses from our viewers to help us shape some programming next week. The best way to to do that is to use provocative language.

Given the depth of your feeling I will review the language.

I can assure you that the actual coverage next week will strive to reflects all points of view and will aim to foster greater understanding amongst all road users.

Also, please let me know if there any specific issues you would like exploring regarding this issue.

Ditto. Are you going to suggest any particular issues to them?

Mine would be simply giving cyclists enough space and room. However, the rubbishness of cycle facilities would also be useful if people have examples they can use. Alas I don't.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
redfox said:
Just got this reply from Duncan Williamson - Assistant Editor

...The intention was to elicit pasionately help responses from our viewers to help us shape some programming next week. The best way to to do that is to use provocative language.
Some english might be useful too, and this from the Assistant Editor... me thinks he'll not be getting promoted very soon :smile:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Some english might be useful too, and this from the Assistant Editor... me thinks he'll not be getting promoted very soon :smile:

Yes, it's a shame the newsreaders have to speak the Queens English when the people who are basically in charge of them cannot spell it.

I SAY BAN THE BBC !

Top Bottom