Silly BMX Riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Yes, that is the spot. There is a safe bridge that takes you over the road or a much safer place to cross after the bridge. The barriers are there as their is a train station above the bridge and thd pavements get pretty crowded at times. You didn't answer my question about Children btw.

I'm not sure why I need to condone or not condone anything. People will cross where they want, and long may it remain so. If the "official" crossing point is also the most direct and convenient, they will use it. If it isn't the best way to get where they are going, they won't. That's all that matters, really. The roundabout and its approaches seem to have rather a lot of pedestrian-unfriendly features - those big round cobblestones are clearly intended to stop people walking there. I'd be pleased if my kids, or kids known to me, felt free to explore their environment under their own steam, and would focus my efforts on stopping people feeling entitled to run them over for doing so. People always have an exaggerated sense of fear for their own children, of course, and if I were shepherding a child across that road, on a bike or otherwise, I probably wouldn't do it quite like that, but there we are...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It must be the cycling instructor in me then.

Indeed...
thumbsup.png

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The second cyclist (The one on the BMX) doesn't actually have any brakes and is using his left foot as a brake by pushing it against the rear tyre by the seat stays.
That is a silly thing to do, even riding a BMX on a race track or at dirt jumps without a brake is silly! But on the road / pavement?

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The second cyclist (The one on the BMX) doesn't actually have any brakes and is using his left foot as a brake by pushing it against the rear tyre by the seat stays.
That is a silly thing to do, even riding a BMX on a race track or at dirt jumps without a brake is silly! But on the road / pavement?
Well spotted. If you want it for your site you are welcome BTW.

When I was 14/15 I rode a bike with no brakes at all, it was a Chopper, not a BMX, so I'm showing my age but you do these things as kids. I wouldn't do it now because I don't have the reactions I had then. I wish I could still wheely a bike as long as I could then but instead I have to watch my own kids do it.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
When I was 14/15 I rode a bike with no brakes at all, it was a Chopper, not a BMX, so I'm showing my age but you do these things as kids. I wouldn't do it now because I don't have the reactions I had then. I wish I could still wheely a bike as long as I could then but instead I have to watch my own kids do it.
So we are talking early 80's. IIRC there were a lot less cars on the road. Like I said "Silly".

So we are talking early 80's. IIRC there were a lot less cars on the road. Like I said "Silly".

The early 80's, I wish, back a bit. Kids do 'silly' things if that's the phrase you wish to use, it's part of growing up, part of their rite of passage, which reminds me of a thread I wanted to start.

Top Bottom