Silly Hills Why so Hard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tordis

I actually quite like Shooters Hill. Yes, it's a bit of a lengthy climb, but I'm in no rush on a Sunday morning when I take this route to Blackheath Farmers' Market :smile:
But Gypsy Hill's not nice at all. Makes me short of breath in no time.

Cubist

Still wavin'
FFS:biggrin:

jimboalee

The United Kingdom,

Long shallow hills – plenty

Short shallow hills – even more.

Short steep hills – can be found.

Long steep hills – none.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cubist said:
Ha - I was just thinking of you!

I'm doing a 75 mile ride with Calum on Sunday and we will be coming back over Scapegoat Hill from Slaithwaite! Over 9,000 ft of Pennine hilliness in total, including long steady climbs, short 20% ones and nasty longish, steepish ones like Scapegoat Hill.

Southerners, eh! :wacko:

martint235

Dog on a bike
ColinJ said:
Southerners, eh! :wacko:

Hey not a southerner! I just live down here. Born at the foot of Pendle Hill and spent happy days mountain biking across the Pennines.

Shooters Hill is just the best I've got for now! :biggrin:

ColinJ

jimboalee said:
Long steep hills – none.
What's the definition of long and steep?

Obviously, we don't have anything which is 15% for 10 km because that would exceed the height of Ben Nevis, the highest point in the UK.

We certainly have plenty of hills which are 10% for a couple of km or so which I rank as pretty long and pretty steep. I can think of a few locally which are harder than that.

ColinJ

martint235 said:
Hey not a southerner! I just live down here. Born at the foot of Pendle Hill and spent happy days mountain biking across the Pennines.

Shooters Hill is just the best I've got for now! :wacko:
Ooh, I love it round Pendle Hill and the Ribble Valley! We quite often do forum rides from Hebden Bridge out to the cafe at Waddington and sometimes go over the Nick o'Pendle - that's a 'proper' hill!

nick-o-pendle-sabden.jpg

pendle-hill-from-sawley-big.jpg

To get back on topic...

One of the 'hills' I hate most is the false flat coming back from Burnley towards Todmorden on the A646. It is only about 2% or so but I usually hit it when I'm feeling tired after a long ride and I just slow right down. It looks so easy that I feel that I should be doing 15-20 mph, but normally I'm only doing 8-10 mph.

Hills steeper than about 8% feel quite tough so there is no shame in finding them hard going.

I went up by Mount Pleasant sorting office while going from Waterloo to Kings Cross (and back again) and thinking that I wasn't aware of hills in London, even though it felt like one while I had a week's worth of clothes in a pack on my back.

Portsmouth is a great city for cycling in (the council keeps telling us) it's flat and compact but getting out of town is problematical. We're essentially on a sandbank in the harbour, with sea on three sides and a ridge of prehistoric cliffs to the north. The road up isn't too bad as climbs go, now I've gotten used to it, but it's always the first thing I see when heading out as it seems to loom over the city and I'm never quite as warmed up as I would like.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've got plenty of the short-sharp types locally, including a 15% horror just outside the door. Most of the rides out of Winchester take you over some lumps and bumps. The terrain never gets too high (just over 200m is as 'up' as it goes) but you're never on the flat.

Despite not being built for the climbs, I quite enjoy the challenge of a good incline.

GrasB

Veteran
Lizban said:
Now I don't mind going up a hill or two but does anyone else find the silly little hills harder than nasty ones?

For example (for London readers) the Farringdon Road from Blackfriars up towards Kings X.

Not very steep but horrible!

Anyone else suffer from small hill syndrome?
I don't find this however around here all there are is silly bumps in the road. I think it's because you don't expect it to be hard because it's small.

Top Bottom