Silly Hills Why so Hard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
martint235 said:
I wouldn't call Shooters Hill a small hill but it's definitely silly! It's not like you're climbing over a ridge or anything, it's just a round hill in the middle of an otherwise fairly flat landscape that I have to go over twice a day!! It has no purpose whatsoever apart from to hurt your legs. Apparently the views from the top are very good but by the time I get to the top I'm concentrating on breathing!:smile:

The only time I've had to go up that one, I walked and my legs still complained. Still the ride down more than makes up for it :wahhey:

wanda2010

Guru
fossyant said:
Hills...London......:smile:

:wahhey: I know, but I'm using that word. Don't care :laugh:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
jimboalee said:
1/ What's the difference between your start elevation and your finish elevation?
2/ How many roads on your route have a chevron?

Ans 1 is "< 500ft"
Ans 2 is "None".

Downward and I are from the West Mids. I'm hard pushed to find a 'steep' hill here too.

Aye, 444 is my peak height on my commute starting at 36 foot and my commute is a steady climb to the peak and over. I think my steepest climb near me is Muswell Hill which is only a 143 foot ascent over half a mile. Don't know of any chevroned hills near me.

EDIT : Apparently, according to the net Swain's Lane in Highgate N6 is the steepest near me. 200 foot over 3/4 mile which I've actually not attempted yet. :smile:

Downward

Guru
HaloJ said:
Aye, 444 is my peak height on my commute starting at 36 foot and my commute is a steady climb to the peak and over. I think my steepest climb near me is Muswell Hill which is only a 143 foot ascent over half a mile. Don't know of any chevroned hills near me.

EDIT : Apparently, according to the net Swain's Lane in Highgate N6 is the steepest near me. 200 foot over 3/4 mile which I've actually not attempted yet. :wacko:

Start at about 400 feet, Down to 350 feet, upto 750 feet and finish at 300 feet 520 feet climbing in 6.5 miles

Or Longer summer route is 350 feet to 930 feet and finish at 300 feet (13 miles 1000 feet of climbing)

jimboalee

Downward said:
Start at about 400 feet, Down to 350 feet, upto 750 feet and finish at 300 feet 520 feet climbing in 6.5 miles

Or Longer summer route is 350 feet to 930 feet and finish at 300 feet (13 miles 1000 feet of climbing)

Start at 430 ft, down to 160 ft at Bridge End, Warwick and then back up to 420 ft; in 23 miles.

Pathetic, isn't it?

100km Audax Midland Mesh after work tonight.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Downward said:

I had to ride 22 miles to get 800ft of climbing. Although I think I'll devise a route and do a tour of the North London climbs. Could be fun :ohmy:

jimboalee said:
100km Audax Midland Mesh after work tonight.
Oooh good luck with that. ;)

Martok

Klingon on a bike
HaloJ said:
I had to ride 22 miles to get 800ft of climbing. Although I think I'll devise a route and do a tour of the North London climbs. Could be fun.
I think I'd rather stay at home and poke my eyes with a pin! xx(

jimboalee

HaloJ said:
I had to ride 22 miles to get 800ft of climbing. Although I think I'll devise a route and do a tour of the North London climbs. Could be fun xx(

Get a 25Lb roll of roofing lead. Wrap it in a towel and a supermarket bag and zip-clip it in the frame triangle.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Straight out of work on an evening and I have a nice little hill to blow the desk cobwebs away...

Starts at 223ft and rises to 732 in 1.4 miles.

It's great on cold legs ;)

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
jimboalee said:
Get a 25Lb roll of roofing lead. Wrap it in a towel and a supermarket bag and zip-clip it in the frame triangle.

That's only a little more than my commuting bag weight! :smile:

Top Bottom