Silly question regarding rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
I know this is a silly question but I'm a bit confused
Picked up a Raleigh for pennies, I need to replace the rear mech as its bent up after going into the wheel, seller just hand straightened it and put it on to make it look OK. :blink: I'm trying to repair the bike on a tight budget.
This is the rear mech on the bike (yes chain will be replaced with new) -
18118600_141465046392183_4191497287254730930_n.jpg

and this is the new rear mech I'm looking at -
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Now the reason I'm confused, the seller has included this picture which has got me thinking it probably won't fit my frame?
$_57.JPG

Am I right in thinking it won't work or will it?

Drago

Legendary Member
It will work fine, provided the hanger (the black hook shaped plate at the top) detaches, which would allow you to mount it to the integral hanger on your frame. If I'm looking at the pics correctly and its not two different derailleurs then you should be fine.

You also need a new chain, and that rear cassette needs a good clean.

OP
OP
redvision95

redvision95

Already got a new chain waiting, Going to be all cleaned up when I do the chain and mech. :okay:

There are 2 different models of that Tourney mech one with integral gear hanger (Riveted and non removable) and one that mounts with a bolt. you want the one that mounts with a bolt like your top picture.
Right, in the description it says eye bolt fitting so Im guessing that means its the one in the top...

I know this is a silly question but I'm a bit confused
Picked up a Raleigh for pennies, I need to replace the rear mech as its bent up after going into the wheel, seller just hand straightened it and put it on to make it look OK. :blink: I'm trying to repair the bike on a tight budget.
This is the rear mech on the bike (yes chain will be replaced with new) -
View attachment 349383

Whatever the problem or question was, here it is,

Paint.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It might need a new freewheel block or cassette, depending on which type you have. Is it six or seven speed? Maybe someone else might offer an option on that. Sorry to add to your woes but some of those gear teeth look very worn. Don't worry replacements are cheap as are gear cables. Might be a good idea to replace the brake cables too.

That mech looks like a flimsy affair so hopefully it bent rather than the hanger itself. Check it by holding a straight edge against it and see if it runs parallel to the wheel rim. Not foolproof but might give you an indication.

Tim Hall

Is that cassette shagged beyond redemption, or are those just specially shaped teeth to aid shifting? (OP's pic, about 9 o'clock on the cassette, next to the horribly rusty link)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
And BTW, a new chain will not work with that cassette. See if you can find an old, unrusted chain.
A standard 5-8 speed chain will work fine with it.

EdIt - Whoops missed how worn it is, you may need a new freewheel too. :blush: :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cheap bikes can be great but if neglected can required a fair amount of fettling. Post a pic of the bike from the drive side so we can advise.

OP
OP
redvision95

redvision95

I'll just replace the freewheel, A new one won't cost much and it's a new skill to learn.
All cables are being replaced on the bike, Along with pads, tyres etc. In totaI i'll only be into the bike £35-£40 as some parts are coming out of the parts bin.

Parts now ordered.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cheap bikes can be great but if neglected can required a fair amount of fettling.
You need to be really sure that the frame, the brakes, the wheels and the gear change mechanisms are sound, otherwise you'll end up spending a fair bit of cash without a decent bike to show for it. Or to put it another way, be sure that the bike is not 'beyond economic repair' (BER) before you spend a pound on it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Further to the above the first thing you need to do is make sure the seat post is not so well rusted into the frame (if it is rusted in) that it can't free it off. If you can't it effectively renders the bike junk.

Top Bottom