Silly Question time - Cycle Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've been cycling for a year, but I'm still not too experienced to ask a newbie question.

I've got my bike booked in for a service at the LBS this week. It's the first service I'ever had done. It is very dirty following a weekend ride on our wet & muddy lanes.

Is it 'the done thing' to clean it before taking it in, or do they do it as part of the service?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a done thing to give it a bit of a clean.
Cleaning a bike is not part of their service unless specified.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Cheers chaps, I thought as much.

Didn't want to upset the LBS the first time I use them! *heads to garage with bucket & sponge*

sabian92

Über Member
Normally it'll be specified if it's included - I have read of shops cleaning it then charging extra so be careful.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My LBS tends to give mine a bit of a clean for me or at least the bits they are working on. Then the older guy has a go at me when I collect it :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What is the best thing to clean and protect a bike with?
I follow the chain cleaning method which is excellent

If really mucky.. soap and water other wise baby wipes are great for cleaning a bike, followed by some Mr Sheen to give it a nice sparkle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Like what Ian says. I wash my bikes after any wet rides - takes just a few minutes as you never let the bike get a filthy mess. Mr Sheen is excellent for a quick polish, and removes grease. Occasional waxing with a good car wax also helps with the bling factor.

Oh, and clean bikes are the fastest. FACT.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
I wash my bike about once a decade - best time to wash a bike is right after it's had a tune-up. I figure if the folks doing the tune-up need a part to be clean, they'll clean it and charge me for it.

My philosophy is: if it ain't broke, don't even look at any part that might break. So that kind of prevents cleaning.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I love the fact that you can stand up and admit this, we should all take a leaf from your book

I like to be honest about my weaknesses I guess!

For those that don't clean their bikes at all - doesn't this foul up your drivetrain something rotten?

Top Bottom