Silly Question time - Cycle Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Had this conversation with my lbs guy, the poor man was filthy, said people expect him to have the job done yesterday on dirty bikes. He does not like to work on a dirty bike!
I think it's common courtesy to clean something before getting it fixed, within reason.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I was looking at services on an LBS website and it says they charge an extra £25 if they have to clean your bike before working on it.

I dont clean my bike very often as i prefer it looking muddy and dusty with bits of selotape and cable ties on it, for when i lock it outside pubs/tescos etc. Not that its an expensive bike at 500 quid, but I think it looks a lot more attractive when its all shiny and clean. I clean and lube the drivetrain though and check it over - tyres, brakes, loose spokes, BB wobble, accessory mounts etc, so it runs well just looks unloved. :smile:

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
When I was in the service industry, I didn't care how dirty a product I was tasked with fixing was. Whether it was clean or dirty, I'd still have to make sure it was clean when it went back to the customer, so having dirt on it at least made the effort seem worthwhile.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I think it shows the LBS that you respect your bike and hope that maybe, they will too.
When I took my Giant back for it's 6 wk service, I also gave them my Subway two to service, which had done over 2k.
While the mechanic was deciding whether the rear cassette should be replaced as well as the chain, the owner walked past and asked 'how old the bike was', saying, "if it's showing chain faults from new, I should take it back to Halfthingy". I was chuffed that after 2K the bike still had it's 'showroom' looks. ^_^

400bhp

Guru
My LBS services mine for about £9.50 including wash and polish. Between services, if I am too lazy to wash it, they will strip it down, wash and polish it for £2

We are talking about bicycles here aren't we? :whistle:

It's a very good thing that this thread was started. Well done to the OP for asking.

Speak to any bike mechanic, car mechanic, motorcycle mechanic (or even plumber!!) and the moaning will really start when the cleanliness or otherwise of the equipment they're working on is mentioned.

Great sense was written by the contributor above who said that a clean machine also gives the impression that you care about it.

I am not a mechanic, but I used to sort out bikes for colleagues. How utterly deflating when the stated problem is "It doesn't change gear smoothly" and the bike is presented with siezed rear brake or blocks rubbing the tyre, dry and rusty chain, under-inflated tyres and frayed, dry cables.

That must happen all the time in bike shops.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
I kind of resent the suggestion (made a few times by a few people now) that it's disrespecting one's bike by not regularly cleaning it. This is nonsense. A bike is not a person - it doesn't care if you clean it or not. As for bike shop folks, presenting them with a dirty bike gives them more options to make money - so the idea that it's somehow offensive to them is ridiculous - they are paid to do a job and if they are offended by my bike, they can (and should) refuse to service it and I'll take it to a shop where the employees are not nutcases who are frightened of a bit of grime. I'm not sure where this notion came from, that suggests that bike shop employees are pampered dandies who get offended if you don't present them with a pristine machine. It's ludicrous!

subaqua

What’s the point
It's a very good thing that this thread was started. Well done to the OP for asking.

Speak to any bike mechanic, car mechanic, motorcycle mechanic (or even plumber!!) and the moaning will really start when the cleanliness or otherwise of the equipment they're working on is mentioned.

Great sense was written by the contributor above who said that a clean machine also gives the impression that you care about it.

I am not a mechanic, but I used to sort out bikes for colleagues. How utterly deflating when the stated problem is "It doesn't change gear smoothly" and the bike is presented with siezed rear brake or blocks rubbing the tyre, dry and rusty chain, under-inflated tyres and frayed, dry cables.

That must happen all the time in bike shops.
it does, and then they tell you you need a new bike ;)

I kind of resent the suggestion (made a few times by a few people now) that it's disrespecting one's bike by not regularly cleaning it. This is nonsense. A bike is not a person - it doesn't care if you clean it or not. As for bike shop folks, presenting them with a dirty bike gives them more options to make money - so the idea that it's somehow offensive to them is ridiculous - they are paid to do a job and if they are offended by my bike, they can (and should) refuse to service it and I'll take it to a shop where the employees are not nutcases who are frightened of a bit of grime. I'm not sure where this notion came from, that suggests that bike shop employees are pampered dandies who get offended if you don't present them with a pristine machine. It's ludicrous!

Part of me thinks you posted that for a giggle. If you did, it worked and I've bitten on the hook.

The tiny part of my (already tiny) brain that thinks you were being serious would like to disagree with you. I don't find your post ludicrous, I just disagree with it.

The people who fix bicycles are people. They probably do what they do because they enjoy doing it and have some enthusiasm for it.

They probably prefer to be around people who share their enthusiasm.

Whatever work I've done, I've always preferred working with, for or around people who share my enthusiasm.

I think also that it shows a little respect to the mechanic if we give him or her a reasonably clean bike to work on - and I find that a little respect is repaid.

OT: I'm just back in from cleaning and lubing 2 geared road bikes and a fixie. By golly! I do like a bicycle with almost no moving parts.

OT: I'm just back in from cleaning and lubing 2 geared road bikes and a fixie. By golly! I do like a bicycle with almost no moving parts.

I appreciate your maintenance program may not have gone to such lengths, but ...

<pedant>

Even a fixed wheel has a load of moving parts. The headset, BB, and wheels all have bearings that contain (whether sealed or not) individual balls and as for the chain ...

</pedant>

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't think they need a pristine bike, just one not covered in filth like mine was when I asked the question! Anyway, clean or not,they've informed me that the BB is goosed.

Top Bottom