Silly Wheel Lights Safety or Fad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dax

There seem to be a few of 'em about.

Kaleidospoke (saw it on TV today) & rainbowracer.

Both look good ones a bit cheaper but the other allows words to be entered.

The lights look pretty good and I guess that they must be a help with being seen by motorised numpties from the side. Anyone else seen or got one?

You called them 'silly wheel lights' - what do you think of them ? :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Too confusing. Road users are used to a red light at the back and white at the front, all those gimmicky bits and pieces are confusing and distracting in my opinion. When I am driving I much prefer to be behind a cyclist with a bright, steady rear light than a flashing one and a load of reflectors all over the bike. A static light makes it much easier to judge closing distance and positional changes.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
A world first? I don't think so. Hokey spokes which are virtually the same thing have been available for donkeys years, well quite a few anyway. Trade descriptions act anyone?

Smokin Joe said:
Too confusing. Road users are used to a red light at the back and white at the front, all those gimmicky bits and pieces are confusing and distracting in my opinion. When I am driving I much prefer to be behind a cyclist with a bright, steady rear light than a flashing one and a load of reflectors all over the bike. A static light makes it much easier to judge closing distance and positional changes.

Utter drivel. Confusing and distracting are good things from the point of view of the vulnerable road-user. A steady light which makes it easier for cagers to 'judge closing speeds and positional changes' simply enables them to pass quicker and closer. The passing speed and passing distance of cars on my evening commute changed markedly for the better and safer after I attached a pair of Backupz to my hubs. A plethora of blinking and flashing lights makes the buggers look twice. Confusing and distracting? Are you for real? Perhaps you shouldn't be on the road.

I've got Rainbowracerz on TC. Er, they're a bit crap really, seeing as they can't cope with a 700c wheel and you don't get the disc effect. The more light the better though, is my approach to lighting. :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
mickle said:
Utter drivel. Confusing and distracting are good things from the point of view of the vulnerable road-user. A steady light which makes it easier for cagers to 'judge closing speeds and positional changes' simply enables them to pass quicker and closer. The passing speed and passing distance of cars on my evening commute changed markedly for the better and safer after I attached a pair of Backupz to my hubs. A plethora of blinking and flashing lights makes the buggers look twice. Confusing and distracting? Are you for real? Perhaps you shouldn't be on the road.

Ok then, just to please an expert like yourself I won't drive or cycle anymore. But I'll come on here and pretend I do, just so as not to feel left out.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
yenrod said:
Whats needed or maybe something is on the market = a rotating lightweight LED/S unit !
Something like an amber flashing valve cap, that only works while you are on the move and something similar that would lock onto a spoke like sigmas 'puter sensors do would be good !

Interestingly there was a phone-in on the local radio on Friday.

One motorist complained that his problem was with "lit cyclists" you can see them coming and going, but not if they are crossing in front of you.

I have used "Tyreflys" on my bikes and trikes for this very reason.

Top Bottom