Simon Parker's London Cycle Map -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
User said:
All I can say is *Meh*. It looks pretty but I can't see the utility of it. It doesn't give sufficient detail to make it much use for commuting or touring, and it severly restricts the available (and useful) routes.

It is a major issue that some very obvious points of interest (POI) are missed out, or poorly connected. However, if implemented well, I beleive it could be useful, it would need to be obvious where certain routes were so you couldn't pass them unwittingly. This in part is the problem, since the map ignores landmarks (something we traditionally use for navigation), it is an abstraction which must be implemented fully or not at all.

The tube map is a perfect abstraction since it is effectively standalone since we are naturally confined to the train, thus can use the map (and minimal markers) in isolation. This map, would cause out-roar (and obscene expense) were it to be put in practise either with bold signposts using the primary colour routes (with tags), or even more if this were to result in some paintwork along cycle routes.

Therefore, I still advocate signposting, I would be glad for this map to be incorporated into it, however it would need modifications on routes as well as the signings, as they make things needlessly complicated.

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

"Although, it would be helpful to learn of your connection with Cycle Life, Simon Parker, and his map Garjenkins."

I am schoolmates with the guy who created the Cycle mag. He created it and does it all on his own (barring some volunteer friends who write for him...me included).

He spoke to Simon Parker when he heard about the map he was creating - I have never met Mr Parker. The map when he first showed it to me had even less on it and ir was frsutrating because the potential was huge but it had not really been thought about how it would be used.....bike parks, tube stations, monuments etc - the map could take you from one side to the other but you wouldnt have a clue where you were in between.

It has to be better, it has to have better signposting and it has to have coloured routes to follow on the streets.

Actually I told my friend that I posted it and he gave me a bollocking for mentioning Parkers Map at all. The petition is for "a map" a better map - for london...not Simon Parkers necessarily.

I am just trying to get more people aware/ interested in the petition- though not even the cyclists are agreed on the subject so I feel a bit campaigned out already. I will stick to my day job. I think.

chap

Veteran
Garjenkins said:
"Although, it would be helpful to learn of your connection with Cycle Life, Simon Parker, and his map Garjenkins."

I am schoolmates with the guy who created the Cycle mag. He created it and does it all on his own (barring some volunteer friends who write for him...me included).

He spoke to Simon Parker when he heard about the map he was creating - I have never met Mr Parker. The map when he first showed it to me had even less on it and ir was frsutrating because the potential was huge but it had not really been thought about how it would be used.....bike parks, tube stations, monuments etc - the map could take you from one side to the other but you wouldnt have a clue where you were in between.

It has to be better, it has to have better signposting and it has to have coloured routes to follow on the streets.

Actually I told my friend that I posted it and he gave me a bollocking for mentioning Parkers Map at all. The petition is for "a map" a better map - for london...not Simon Parkers necessarily.

I am just trying to get more people aware/ interested in the petition- though not even the cyclists are agreed on the subject so I feel a bit campaigned out already. I will stick to my day job. I think.

Those that get things done are few, there is a lot of self-interest and divisiveness in any campaign, and you will easy notice this with Cycling advocacy.

The idea of a standardised implemented map is a good one, and evidently one can see the benefit of such a thing. However, one needn't look too far back to justify a sense of scepticism when it comes to councils and certain organisations messing up a good plan. Were your petition to catch the publics interest, I imagine that the only benefits would be a bunch of councillors, TfL, and the cabal of consultants hired at great expense to obfuscate the bleeding obvious. Therefore, perhaps it is best to campaign for something more specific (e.g. more helpful sign posts over safe, quiet yet quick routes), or check with interest groups (e.g. LCC, CTC) to develop a good map.

It is a shame that the creator is a hindrance to his own scheme, he has basically guaranteed it a failure, thus is probably best avoided.

Good luck with the campaign! :biggrin:

AnotherEye

Garjenkins said:
I ask you all to read the article in the link at the very bottom about Simon Parkers amazing London Cycle Map. The map is amazing and in light of 2012 coming up maybe this is our last chance of pushing this great idea forward.
Its definitely a case of common sense versus beaurocracy.
If you agree with it the please sign this petition -
www.petition.co.uk/london-cycle-map-campaig
Hopefully it will may at least raise debate for improved cycling in London.
I clicked on both links but I didn't find the map (is there a direct link?).
In my opinion; different cyclists have different needs. As a confident cyclist I tend to use the same roads as motorists (in fact I get hassle from motorists on the narrow back streets marked as an LCR but little hassle on the main roads).

Top Bottom