simple brake adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roodoob

Regular
have a new (2 mos) Cannondale Adventure -1 .... the 30day chek-up done and mostly good ...not nearly as much riding as in the 35 yrs ago "ol days" apprx 90+ min a day , to make up for no gym access ...99% on road/paths....grass/dirt only to avoid golf carts and buckling sidewalks
never got too deep into the maint ...but over the past few years, w/ videos readily available, do a "little" more ....
it's not too convenient getting back to the shop
problem: ( V-Brake system ) my rear brake ... tho i've done the various "adjustments" the L brake arm continues to "stick" ...
pad remains on the rim... this is the cable guide side of these brakes, and though it would seem like cleaning/lubricating the arm's mounting bolt would have sufficed ...such is not the case ...R arm returns fine...just the L , stays closed ?!? :wacko:

there hasn't been any rough roads, or bang ups or the like to have caused any damage or anything like that ...all pretty tame in that regard

thanx !

I assume you've checked that the arm of the spring is lodged behind the tab on the brake arm?

Reactions: C R

si_c

Guru
Once you have checked these there is a little screw that adjusts the spring tension - it's on both sides of the brake in the caliper near where the pad bolts in. The further in this screw is tightened the stronger the spring tension - check the opposite side to make sure it's not all the way in - if it is then it will pull the other side onto the rim. If not then wind the screw in on the side which is binding, just a little at a time.

Also check that the wheel is in the dropouts properly - if it's slightly off on one side that will cause binding of the brakes.

OP
OP
R

roodoob

Regular
thanx all, for looking in .... :notworthy:

No work, just the 30 day tune the shop offered ...which i realize now, was almost 30 days ago .... :rolleyes:
as stated, not a "Lot" of riding ...but there's a good deal of sand all over the place, here in central fla, so i clean it up at least 1/week
it's a week at least, (maybe 2 :wacko: ) where i noticed a little "drag" ...
springs are seated properly ;)
checked the set screws , along w/ the rest of it... (the most obvious/common etc ) B 4 asking here

sent along the pix ...angle of camera a little off ...but
mostly equidistant # 1 between the arms and frame for both L n R
then after the brake applied # 2 L arm obviously staying there :cursing:

inbetwixt head scratches and :cursing::angry::whistle::stop::whistle::angry::cursing: picture taking ....

i squeezed the brake arms and they returned to neutral ...over n over :okay:
but
when applying the brake from the lever = well ...u know ...

so, it tells me either the lever or cable ...somewhere between the lever and cable guide ...sumptinz amiss !
no obvious pinching of the cable ...nuttin obvious to these old eyes :blink:

appears i stumbled onto a site from "cross the pond" ...:hello:
stay safe over there ....i don't suggest any visits to fla .... it's crazier then you hear :wacko:

:bicycle:

Attachments

• after brake.jpg
    after brake.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 8
  • before brake.jpg
    before brake.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 8
Am assuming, since it's the rear brake, that you aren't checking this on the stand.

And doing what I did once.

Full length brake cable in the outer along the top tube (it was a self-build conversion) - bike clamped by top tube.

Clamp clamping cable!

OP
OP
R

roodoob

Regular
when 1st doing some cleaning ...realized i'd done that ... also realized the stand's clamps have a pathway for the cable ...so no , that's not it

:wacko:

OP
OP
R

roodoob

Regular
:hello::bicycle::hello:

still lookin for a fix folks

:whistle:

Gunk

Guru
There should be a small Phillips screw on each arm to adjust the tension of the spring so you can centre the arms, it does take a bit of patience and some trial and error but worth persevering with, you should be able to adjust them so they sit straight.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
there is a little screw that adjusts the spring tension on both sides of the brake in the caliper near where the pad bolts in. The further in this screw is tightened the stronger the spring tension - check the opposite side to make sure it's not all the way in - if it is then it will pull the other side onto the rim. If not then wind the screw in on the side which is binding, just a little at a time.
still lookin for a fix folks
You have been advised what to do by @si_c
Make a concerted effort to understand what's advised and get on with it. I'd echo @alicat 's comment (except I do have several bikes with V-brakes).
Daughter in Florida (a little north of you) to race this Sunday round some car racing track called Daytona: pro field. She has mini-v brakes ;) and they are adjusted correctly.

Top Bottom